Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Any books on Mirroring glasss

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Frankel

Any books on Mirroring glasss

Post by John Frankel »

Is there any books on the subject of mirroring glass.
Anthony Bennett

Re: Any books on Mirroring glasss

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Hi John,

Your adventure is best started here

https://angelgilding.com//written-instructions/

The more you learn though the more questions you'll have :D

I'm sure someone else will point out some old books for you in time.
Andrew Paul

Post by Andrew Paul »

If you'd like to get some real in depth info, look for "Mirrors; A guide to the manufacture of mirrors and reflecting surfaces" by Bruno Schweig. It gets pretty deep into the chemistry of it all, but has a ton of information. I was able to order a copy from my library - they actually had a copy! - and you can always do the same through inter library loan.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

John...there is an excellent book on this by a _ Bruno Schweig called "Mirrors" It gets into the science and has been used by all our suppliers and mentors for working out the formulae and processes. It can be expensive so you need to decide on your commitment. I've seen it listed from several hundred dollars down to about $20
Ismael Alvarado

Post by Ismael Alvarado »

John Frankel wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:16 pm Is there any books on the subject of mirroring glass.
I have also found that searching for Google Patents on Mirroring Glass was very educational. Many of those patents are ancient and as you get closer to current times you will see the natural evolution of the art.