Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

carved foam

Posted Images from various artists

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

carved foam

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Someone suggested I post a few photos of this one...so, What the heck. Have used little bits of HDU in the past but mostly just for mouldings. It's on one of those buildings that have very little structure to support alot of weight so the whole thing is made of Corafoam rather than wood. It was big!!
Attachments
2e-r oak 409.jpg
2e-r oak 409.jpg (72.56 KiB) Viewed 15740 times
2e-oak 09 overall1.jpg
2e-oak 09 overall1.jpg (105.82 KiB) Viewed 15743 times
2e-oak 09 centre1.jpg
2e-oak 09 centre1.jpg (98.09 KiB) Viewed 15737 times
Pat Welter

Re: carved foam

Post by Pat Welter »

Gosh Doug, these are grand, truely grand...and the best part for me is seeing hand carved letters instead of the CNC routed...Beautifully executed (no round intersection), don't ya just love it.... Looks to me like ya got a good handle on that foam stuff.... Thanks for posting , Love it... Pat

PS: Nice job an the clock as well, but does it work or is it just for show, as I don't see any hands ?
Last edited by Pat Welter on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Beautiful job Doug! Thanks for posting the pics. Nothing like hand carved.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Beautiful Doug, But how's anybody tell what time it is without hands on the clock?
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Yeo Guys, Thanx for the kudos and yes the clock WILL work once the movement and hands arrive. Pubs might open on a schedule and signs follow that, but it still takes time for everything to work out at National Time and Signal where it's coming from. It took longer for me to determine the actual size of everything and therefore couldn't order it sooner. There were hick-ups like how much space to the electronic components need etc. There's no damaging the building. Also the stone columns couldn't be touched as they were part of some sort of architects "right of way" and originally I intended to place the same sort of panel that you see at the ends in that area.....make it all one unit but that was a no-go. Still, am not completely displeased. One thing is the foam dulls tools extremely quickly. I was carving some wood yesterday and had to re-shape everything I'd previously used on foam.
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Awesum work there Doug!!! I love your style!! The shapes, color combos and letter styles just screams "Traditional".

I'm surprised you actually had to "reshape" your tools after the HDU carving......usually just a quick stropping will do it.

Was this the 20lb stuff? Too bad the fussy architect couldn't get that middle light centered!!!

Thanks for getting some pics up.......would love to see more.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

excellent, ol' timer.

see that chisel has got you all riled up.
very nice...

a true master hand carver. What do you allow?

It's what you do.

Men like you carve letters because you can. Because you're better at it than most.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Beautiful work Doug!

What type of finish did you use on this project? Was this all foam or have a backer or use cleats to install?

Very nice!

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Joe....I should know by now to be more careful in my wording with you watching.....they needed alot more than stropping though. Re-grinding is probably the best word for it. BUT Dang.....they were dull. I used plywood splines between the sheets and as usual put a cradle all around of 3/4" ply and finished in oil primers and one-squirt as always. Finishing off with star coatings clears to control the sheen and UV wear.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Missed this post. Doug this sign is so well crafted as usual. I like the details very much.
Nice job mate
Dave
James Stirling

Post by James Stirling »

That is a fine piece of craftsmanship. Thanks for the before and after. I know it sounds like a dumb question, but what is Corafoam? What brand of adhesive are you using?

Thanks for sharing.

James
Clan Stirling Motto: Gang Forward (as if you know what you are doing)

http://www.thefontry.com/
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi James.........Corafoam is just a "not-so dusty" HDU from Texas me tinks although ain't quite sure. I used mostly PL premium as the adhesive....did quite a few tests and there is a trail somewhere about "adhesives test"
James Stirling

Post by James Stirling »

thanks for the info...
Clan Stirling Motto: Gang Forward (as if you know what you are doing)

http://www.thefontry.com/