Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Old English Chemist

Posted Images from various artists

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Old English Chemist

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Took these picks of an old chemist in the next town to mine. Some interesting carving to the text which once was probably covered in gilded glass letting the letters show through ,typically Englsish style of shop front design for this old look.
Also some nice embossed brass skirting signs with some fancy tile work for the entrance.
Dave
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (99.56 KiB) Viewed 14451 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (147.92 KiB) Viewed 14449 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (93.16 KiB) Viewed 14456 times
DAVE SMITH

Re: Old English Chemist

Post by DAVE SMITH »

A few more picks....
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (150.41 KiB) Viewed 14438 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (126.79 KiB) Viewed 14435 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (87.45 KiB) Viewed 14429 times
Dave Dubé

Post by Dave Dubé »

Dave,

I'm really curious about the brasswork - can I assume it was embossed before being mounted? I can't imagine a sign artist laying down on the job. :wink:
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Dave. I always lay down on the job don't you?!
As for embossing I am no expert but I would imagine it was embossed painted and then fitted .
Dave
Ted Cooper

Post by Ted Cooper »

DAVE SMITH wrote: Also some nice embossed brass skirting signs.
Dave
Sorry to be pedantic,but,as someone who spent 30 odd years in the Shopfitting game,the correct name for the upstand,the bit that you refer to as "skirting",in a shopfront,is, in fact,called a stall riser.
Ted Cooper
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

No Problem Ted ,I was wondering what they called that part. Thanks for the correct term. Do you know if the paint on the letters was fired onto the brass or just painted and left to cure on its own.? or were they ever painted? Probably just polished every now and then..
Dave
Ted Cooper

Post by Ted Cooper »

The engraved/painted brasswork would just arrive on a truck,all ready to install! Whether the paint was fired,or not,I have no idea. I suspect not.Shopfitting always meant working to impossible deadlines,(I wish I had a fiver for every ghoster that I did)we never had the time to even guess how a particular finish was achieved, when said finish was done in a workshop,very often by a sub-contractor,many miles away from its final resting place!
An example;I once did a very high-class jewellery shop in Vienna,Austria. The polished brass shopfront was made in Rotherham!
Ted Cooper
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then