Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

A few test pieces

Posted Images from various artists

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

A few test pieces

Post by erik winkler »

Some of my tests.

Critical comments are welcome.
Panel 1.jpg
Panel 1.jpg (179.29 KiB) Viewed 9625 times
Panel 2.jpg
Panel 2.jpg (183.03 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
Detail panel 2.jpg
Detail panel 2.jpg (194.17 KiB) Viewed 9649 times
Beveled edged glass, mica etched, silvered, abalone shell in the top circles, black lettering handpainted, water gilded with 23,75 K

Question: I made a conclusion that whenever silver touches gold a black outline is needed.
This because every time I do this, it looks like it drops dead or something.
What is your opinion or idea on this?

Thanks,
Erik
Last edited by erik winkler on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Re: A few test pieces

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Erik your piece looks good. Your right with silvered areas touching gold but it all depends on how you go about your design.
The text you have on your glass an outline would make it pop out more and even a shadow.On some earlier glass work alott of areas with heavy scroll formations especially white acid toning would have been silver to gold this can look very pleasing to the eye. It's all about experiment and design which you seem to be doing.
Dave