Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

reverse glass with gold, damar, paint

Posted Images from various artists

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Pat Welter

reverse glass with gold, damar, paint

Post by Pat Welter »

This is a project we just completed. The size is 1 ft x 3 ft. The leaves around the photo are 18 kt gold with asphaltum shades sprayed in first .
The oak frame was stained then I used a texturing roller to take off some stain , once this was dry a walnut stain was mixed into a clear then sprayed on to create the 2 tone effect.

The frame around the photo was oil sized with some asphaltum shading, then you crush composite leaf in your hand and dab it on, have the size on the wetter side of dry to make this work. It gives you this crushed effect on the front, then backup as normal
Attachments
sheads store painted.jpg
sheads store painted.jpg (114.7 KiB) Viewed 12437 times
sheads glass left side.jpg
sheads glass left side.jpg (127.41 KiB) Viewed 12454 times
sheads photo area.jpg
sheads photo area.jpg (187.51 KiB) Viewed 12446 times
sheads glass whole.jpg
sheads glass whole.jpg (92.52 KiB) Viewed 12441 times
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
DAVE SMITH

Re: reverse glass with gold, damar, paint

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Nice and nostalgic work Pat.
Good Job.
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Pat....it looks like you have the bug. A trip to Noel Webers would be one of those great things to expand the horizon with this ongoing quest. It sure got me on the straight path after experiments I had been up to.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

dang you, Patrick,
lookin good up in that cold wasteland...

what did you do in the letters,
explain yourself, man
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Thanks Dave and Doug...Yes, Noels would be a place I'd like to go...Tony, the main lettering is done in Damar Varnish...When working with it in the glass stand I add some weber resin gel to help thicken and also added a bit of Quick Rubbing varnish to speed up dry time...Used the end of my lettering quill to texture...Can't texture to early or it will self level and to late you won't be able to texture ...Once set we water sized and gilded, the outline on the letter is a mirror water gild....The oval outline on the photo is something Marven Renter's Mentor showed me, oil size with an asphaltum fade, and while the size is still on the wet side of dry, crush composite gold leaf in your hand and dab it into the size. The back side gets looking pretty rough but the effect on the front side is pretty cool... back up as you would normally....The store is all airbrushed... The leaf on the scroll is 18K and on the letters is 23K. The leaves on the scroll have an asphaltum fade that I airbrushed into the the oil size(mixed asphaltum with size). These folks owned this store in Unity for 33 year...Gave great service and are well liked, they had to retire for medical reasons...Their staff wanted a chalk drawing of the store, and I felt they needed something better...They arrived in Unity 33 years ago with only the cloths on thier backs and a suitcase each...Great story...
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Patrice.....I've done something similar some years ago with varigated leaf on a wood sign. Never on glass and the effect was pretty cool there too.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Thats a real beauty Pat.