Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glawson Glass pieces

Posted Images from various artists

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

Glawson Glass pieces

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi all. While looking through old back-ups last week I found these photos Rick Glawson had sent me a number of years ago. I included the note to me and it dates from August1 2001. I'm still not sure why I was going to be in LA that week but there it is. These also are the photos he sent along. When I did arrive the glass pieces were gone with the exception of a test of one of the decorative corners which he said I should take with me as he had another...since I didn't see it in the little sample rack he kept near the "Thunder" glass in the esoteric side, I replied that I'd love to once he got the other back from the client. That of course never happened and am still kicking myself as it was incredibly well done as you can see here. You could see he was proud of it and he just called them "2x6's" They were done for a collector he knew who had a home "Arcade" for his antique machines. Sorry I can't recall any more about this and didn't show them to you all sooner. I just thought there must be a few of those pictures around as he titled them and resized them
razred upper.jpg
razred upper.jpg (48.25 KiB) Viewed 16199 times
for e-mail

Hi Sparky,

Just something to mull on. One of these days maybe we'll get it right. =
Elapsed time 191 man hours & 1000 materials.

See you tomorrow, the elder one.
Attachments
razrear.jpg
razrear.jpg (41.32 KiB) Viewed 16180 times
razbottom corner.jpg
razbottom corner.jpg (47.11 KiB) Viewed 16197 times
razblue whole1.jpg
razblue whole1.jpg (47.36 KiB) Viewed 16199 times
razblue upper.jpg
razblue upper.jpg (47.27 KiB) Viewed 16197 times
Tony Segale

Re: Glawson Glass pieces

Post by Tony Segale »

priceless.

thanks for sharin' that one, ol' timer.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

As always true eye-candy from the master. Thanks Doug for sharing your rediscovery.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Looks like David Trujillo working on that piece...
probably deserves some credit, and I bet he
just might know a little....history!

-BB

Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Fantastic, thanks for sharing.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Me thinks David did ALOT of work on those pieces and I believe that is the table right next to his work bench (which would be too small for these)......I've lost track of him and his e-mail address is no longer valid or would have run this by him first. I guess one tends to credit the shop and Glawson and Evans and Fine Gold are one and the same I suppose...?
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Thanks for posting these Doug!
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

These are great Doug . I have seen them before, I had quite a few that Rick sent me over time, will try and find them and make a post on the end of yours here..
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

so nice. thank you for sharing this.
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
CHRIS MAHURON

Post by CHRIS MAHURON »

This is so nice.........breathtaking.
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Several years ago (has it been 10 years?) Dave McDonald was having a small gathering at his shop and Rick & Lola came up to visit one day. Rick had several photographs of this job and a little sample piece they had done beforehand for the corner ornament. I took pictures of the sample which I'll include below in this post.
If I’m not mistaken, the piece was being done for a private residence. Rick also had something he called “lizard skin” or something like that, which I think was used behind the picture – maybe an enhanced protective backup.

Rick also had with him an intriguing little leather-bound “book” by George Brooke – a sales tool which was comprised of a dozen or so actual glass sample pieces, all exquisitely executed. (But that's a subject for another thread - I think previously addressed on the forum.)
Attachments
Sample_1a.jpg
Sample_1a.jpg (230.75 KiB) Viewed 15766 times
Sample_close-up.jpg
Sample_close-up.jpg (220.32 KiB) Viewed 15765 times
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I think you hit it right on there Dan. I was there at that time and in fact rode back to LA (via Santa Barbara) with Lola and Rick. That would have been the sample he mentioned to me. The Brooks sample book I believe has a safe home now with The American Sign Museum and what a sight it was....the special tour of the Hearst Home courtesy of some of Rick and Lola's customers/on site restoration staff ???