Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

David Smith Sign Artist . short film

Notices and Information not related to Hand Lettering subjects.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

David Smith Sign Artist . short film

Post by DAVE SMITH »

A friend of mine by the name of Danny Cooke made a film on my Studio and some of the techniques we all use in our work.
Danny is 24years old and very talented with film making. He has been trying to build his portfolio of films before he goes to University to study media.
We made this film over several days to show off the craft and educate people about Handcrafted Signwork and Reverse Glass Techniques.
We tried several times to have glue chipping in this film and acid embossing but was not able to get that in succesfully in a creative way, there are some techniques missing but overall it gives an insite to what we all do in our lives . If you could he would really appreciate your comments and there is a (Like) button in the top corner of the film area when you scroll your mouse over which gives Danny a score and helps push the film for Ratings within Vimeo for him. Vimeo is based in the USA. Great site for these short films by some talented people.

Due to the high definition of this film and the way it was made you may need to wait for the film to buffer to the end before playing it unless you have a fast connection to handle the content., once it goes onto Youtube it will be fine, this film was made for TV work which he hopes to get on to our main channels here in the UK shortly hence the size and possibly connection being slower.

I never knew how much goes into making a little movie. oh and turn your speakers up! I at to talk in some areas of the film which was kind of embarrasing at the time.

Hope you all enjoy it.
Thanks

Dave

http://vimeo.com/14985356
Travis Stanley

Re: David Smith Sign Artist . short film

Post by Travis Stanley »

Beautiful film Dave! Your works inspires me,and the Film maker done an outstanding job.
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

Dave,
That was fantastic! Nice work by Danny Cooke & yourself, thanks for sharing.
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Jerry Berg

Post by Jerry Berg »

Very nicely done there Dave. I really enjoyed that. Tell Danny he did a very good job!

That video just got me energized for the day here. I'm looking at some pieces
here that need to be finished. Going to get things done quickly here today so I can do just that!
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

FINALLY A MOVIE THAT DOES THE WORK CREDIT!
Just amazing, right atmosphere, right lighting, right speed, good voice Dave and a movie that finally explains the craftsmanship in this work.

I can watch this for hours. Can not wait untill I see your film being broadcasted on BBC4.

And for the kid who wants to go to University Media: "Do not bother, I think they can not teach you any more then the talented project you have made here".
A friend of mine went to the Dutch University of Media and he produced films like this at the end of his 4 years of study. Just my opninion...

A movie that makes yourself feeling proud!!!!
Good on you! Now an other talented friend who finishes your superduper website.

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

.......I'm just sitting here in awe,............ watching that was almost like an outer body experience, I feel very light-headed. What a wonderful piece of work from both of you !! Thanks for the show.
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

The site is down for me at the moment.
In fact, so is google but not this site.
Maybe later.
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Don't know what the problem was, it must have been at my end.
I watched the video.

Dave, that was just fantastic.

Thanks for sharing, now dont forget to email me details of those courses of yours.
I got to learn stuff of you.

regards
Tony
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

These are really lovely comments from you guy's thankyou.. Danny did a great job ,I told him to view your comments on his work which he really appreciates .Here is another link that may help some of you to view it at a slower speed, set your Youtube link bar to 480 to view the film on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iOePiEtM_U

Thanks
Dave
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

I have to agree with all the other comments. I find the film both inspiring and comforting.

Inspiring because i see I see so many little things that tweak my imagination. ..oh, he used those two gold leaf colours like that, nice blend....ah, that's a lovely design element....ooh, that looks great.....Mmmm, interesting way of doing that....etc.

Comforting, because I recognize my tribe. This is a film about us. I'm sure a lot of us feel similarly to me, in that we are may be the only people in our area doing this kind of work...we have a handful of friends/collegues that we know, but it tends to be an isolated art because there's not many of us around. So to see our passion, our art, represented here through Dave is very life-affirming.
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Oh So Wonderful! I had to watch it twice. Now I know how those titanic movie goers felt like when they went back to watch that movie again and again and again.

Tell me that this is only the trailer...and that the 2 hour and 30 minute full length feature is coming soon to a Website near us.

Is it true you got a parking ticket while filming in front of the Clocktower?

Thanks Dave, Danny and rest of the film crew for making a truly Creative, Factual, Exciting, Inspirational, and Superlative Film of the Sign Gilding Craft!

Two Thumbs....Way Up!

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Exceptional, Dave! .....crikey!

The calmness in your voice as you narate the film makes
me feel like everything is going to be okay! Love it mate!

I want to come over there and gild with you and your little dog....
....probably has his own Smith Tip!

Inspirational! ...now to quit wasting time.....

-Aho!

-BB

Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

Thank you, Mr. Smith.

And Mr. Cooke.

Excellent short film honoring the craft, that certainly won't die now.

I'll be sending the link to all my art friends in the area.
I can say, "That man there, I know him".

First class, Dave.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

WHAT CAN BE SAID THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN SAID.........lovely......blessings....thank you!
~Inga
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Great comments and appreciation from all of you. Thankyou.
The good news tonight is that they put the film on Vimeo's front page which according to Danny is the most popular channel on vimeo!
Hopefully he will do well from the ratings there.Thanks for your support and voting for him.

http://www.vimeo.com/

Dave
Andrew Grundon

Post by Andrew Grundon »

The film perfectly captures the quiet intensity of passion that pervades when you get lost in creating something special.It also confirms what many of us already knew, that you, Dave, are at the top of your game, and it's a privilege to be associated with you and the wider sign artist fraternity. I have put links to this film on Facebook at my own page,and those of the Heritage Crafts association ,and Mastercrafts.I hope this goes some way to gaining the wider recognition you deserve.
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

Most awsome Dave. You deserve all the accolades. Everything
begins and ends with inspiration. You and many others have
have lended to that notion.
Say Dave, would you mind posting some pics of that buggy you
were driving. I'd like to see the graphics on it. Most cool ride.

Thanks,
Mark
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Martin Tippett

Post by Martin Tippett »

Speachless and gob smacked Dave!! Beautifully filmed and of course the work you do is outstanding! Andrew (Grundon) put me onto this film and I've watched it over and over again. If you want to teach-I want to learn- when can we start?
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

FANTASTIC ! great work from the both of you, I've passed this around the usual channels mate.

Martin- get ur self up the road and do one of Dave's workshops.. Worth their weight in Gold !!
Martin Tippett

Post by Martin Tippett »

Great Idea Wayne! Dave have you got any workshops planned? If so when are they?
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hey good to see you back here Martin. I have two workshops in Torquay planned before December and one in Febuary but after that I will be free for more dates. Give me a call and we will arrange something.
Will be in Boston, Mass next weekend having a small workshop at Gregg Hegers with Gary Godby and Jeff Lang looking forward to seeing those guy's.

Thanks about the video and thanks to you Wayne ,Andrew and all you fellow artists, much appreciated. Danny so far has had 14000 views on the site, all the comments on the film like here have been great.

Should have another video coming out soon with me driving the car around the countryside looking like Wallace and Gromit. this one will be shorter though...

Thanks
Dave
Martin Tippett

Post by Martin Tippett »

Which will you be Dave -Wallace or Gromit?
oatis

Post by oatis »

Dave: This is a fantastic documentary! The quality of the video is excellent, together with very skillful editing ( I suspect this was gleaned from many hours of raw footage) and beautiful narration. Kudos to a truly artistic producer: and it never hurts to have world-class subject matter!

Everybody concerned can be proud of this.

Mark
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thankyou very much Mark. I appreciate your comments .. Say hi to your family for me.
Dave
Noah Moore

Post by Noah Moore »

DAVE SMITH wrote:A friend of mine by the name of Danny Cooke made a film on my Studio and some of the techniques we all use in our work.
Danny is 24years old and very talented with film making. He has been trying to build his portfolio of films before he goes to University to study media.
We made this film over several days to show off the craft and educate people about Handcrafted Signwork and Reverse Glass Techniques.
We tried several times to have glue chipping in this film and acid embossing but was not able to get that in succesfully in a creative way, there are some techniques missing but overall it gives an insite to what we all do in our lives . If you could he would really appreciate your comments and there is a (Like) button in the top corner of the film area when you scroll your mouse over which gives Danny a score and helps push the film for Ratings within Vimeo for him. Vimeo is based in the USA. Great site for these short films by some talented people.

Due to the high definition of this film and the way it was made you may need to wait for the film to buffer to the end before playing it unless you have a fast connection to handle the content., once it goes onto Youtube it will be fine, this film was made for TV work which he hopes to get on to our main channels here in the UK shortly hence the size and possibly connection being slower.

I never knew how much goes into making a little movie. oh and turn your speakers up! I at to talk in some areas of the film which was kind of embarrasing at the time.

Hope you all enjoy it.
Thanks

Dave

http://vimeo.com/14985356
LOOK. THIS IS MY FIRST RESPONSE AS A "LETTERHEAD" USER AND IM PROUD TO USE IT ON THIS VIDEO. IM NOT TOO SHY TO SAY, THIS VIDEO HAS CHANGED MY LIFE! IVE ALWAYS BEEN A FAN OF REVERSE GLASS SIGNAGE BUT NOW IM READY TO TAKE ON THIS NEW LIFE. THIS VIDEO WAS THE REAL WIND BEHIND MY BACK. SO DAVID, THANK YOU! YOU ARE A REAL INSPIRATION AND I HOPE I GET TO WORK ALONG SIDE OF YOU.
NOAH
THE SKYS THE LIMIT
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thankyou Noah.
Glad it was of help to you somehow,keep up the tradition mate. Always good to see what other people are doing so post up your work when you can.
Thanks again.
Dave
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I think I will treat myself to another feature of your movie Dave.
With a pencil in my hand sketching some scrolls, some red wine, smelly French (non pasteurised) cheese and my laptop plugged to my flatscreen tv.
Yeah that must be a good cure for my winter blues. :wink:

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Now that sounds like a good idea Erik ,red wine and cheese...... That film certainly turned a corner for my work, looking back with the responce it gave me I would have like to have added more techniques in the film ,but I'm not complaining as I had a lot of nice comments from it.... watch you don't spill that wine over your laptop Erik....
Enjoy.....
Dave