Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glue Chip Drying Cabinet?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Glue Chip Drying Cabinet?

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Raymond Chapman on March 20, 2004
I know that I've seen somewhere on this Forum the plans for building a glue chip drying cabinet like Rick used, but now I can't seem to find it. Must be a senior moment.

Can anyone help me find a plan and materials list?

Thanks.
Dan Seese
Raymond,
I've never built a glue chip drying cabinet but I have a page in Rick's handwriting with a drawing & dimensions of a cabinet like his.
I'd be glad to scan it, convert it to a pdf document and email it to you if you'd like.
Dan
Mike Jackson

Dan,
I thought I included this photo somewhere in Rick's section, but I don't see it right off. Here is the scan I used to answer this question a long time ago. Basically, it is a box with a hinged door in the front with heat lamps. Rick had a dehumidifier connected to it at one time. Sounds like Dave Smith is doing that same thing now and getting good results.

Mike
Robare M. Novou
It is interesting to note that Ricks says to stand the glass on edge to avoid "thermal breakage".

I have always laid my glass down flat, as my box(EazyBake II)is built horizontally. I've never had any thermal breakage...just that one time on a test piece of 1/8" thin glass, of which the glue broke it in half.

I have stood the pieces on edge, with the glue side facing the radiator...(chips everywhere).

So for me both ways have worked, except on the very first flat piece that I slid in to the box without a protective mask... yep, I scratched it.
Now I double mask the front with transfer tape and lay the glass down, no more sliding it in.

RMN
Jeff Lang
Raymond,
Catherine Kennedy asked a similar question a little while ago. I built mine like ricks but made mine 2' deep instead of 1' & it works fine.
Jeff
John Grenier
Raymond,
We built one last year and the space available was 24" deep so that is what we used and the width is 6.5ft 4 ft tall. We put a small fan in the top inside that stays on and electric heater thermostat to control the heat lamps. I added a regular 60watt light bulb that stays on with the fan because you want to see whats happening. Simple wall switch outside with outlet inside powers everything. Another change to the drawing of Ricks is the door it is better for us to have two doors about 2/3 the area of the front, kitchen cupboard style makes it easier to get stuff in and out. It makes a great drying cabinet for all kinds of stuff, we use it all the time. We have three levels of shelves with a dozen or more 12"x 24" pieces of lluan. The bottom is 3/4" plywood and the rest is framed 1x2 with 1/4" lluan (lets the moisture out. Danny Bussell used lluan and not finish so the moisture can escape. Diana says she is going to dry tomatoes next summer. I did remind her that there are very small bits of broken glass scattered about. She muttered something I couldn't quite make out.