Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glue-Chipping (glue chip)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Glue-Chipping (glue chip)

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Catharine C. Kennedy on November 23, 2003
1) Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
2) Is there a minimum font size for glue-chipping? Is there any sort of font type I should stay away from?
I've received a kit for glue-chipping as well as one for Angel Gilding... nothing like jumping right into things! I'm working on some samples to get sand-blasted so I can start messing about & was curious about perameters. How fine a line can you lay down on the masking before it gets blown away by the sand-blasting?
And so forth!
Thanks-
Catharine (the adventuresome)
Mike Jackson
Catherine,
The minimum size "depends" on a bunch of variables as far as I am concerned.

Consider:
The letterstyle: Balmoral or Commercial script would be tough at any size! Cooper Black is big and bold and might work smaller.

The stencil: you have to be able to sandlast you letters without the coming up. Gerber mask works okay for some jobs, but will come up if too small. Regular Anchor stencil will hold to the glass and hold up to blasting.

The process:
You can do smaller, more detailed work using the asphaltum method vs. the stencil/double-cut method.

.5" to .75" would be my estimated minimum on most reasonably bold style. Below that, consider learning Acic Etching.

Other opinions welcome!
Mike Jackson
Catharine Kennedy
Would it "help" to put a very thick edging onto the word (giving a more solid background)rather than just leaving the individual letters to deal with?

Raymond Chapman
It is recommended that you leave a clear "glow line" around the lettering so that chipping is not directly against the lettering. The chip will leave a ragged edge and just doesn't look very good against what is supposed to be a smooth line.

The size of the glow line would depend on the size of the lettering or other art work, but somewhere around an eighth of an inch or so would probably work.
Mike Jackson
Catharine,
Along with the suggestions already made, my biggest suggestion is for you to do a series of experiments on scrap glass to find out how small you can go. I always like to nose around Noel Weber's shop and find dozens or even hundreds of small experimental chunks all over the place. We have our share around here and at the old shop. Making them are what I consider "investments" in my future. They help you learn and can save money on the real projects.

Mike Jackson
Lee Littlewood
As Mike says, do samples. Lots of samples. and for pity's sake, write the info on the sample. I don't know how many sample pieces we have around our shop which look good (or bad, it's just as useful) but I have no idea how they were produced. Also, putting the date on will be useful in a few years, when a) the materials may have changed, b) some age-related effects (colors burning thru gold, edges lifting....) show up, c) you can't remember how old you are
signed: If this is Monday I must be Lee
Jennifer Goodwin
Where do you find asphaltum? I am also just getting started in this and I cannot find a supplier.
Mike Jackson - Asphaltum Sources
Besides Letterheadsignsupply.com, Esoteric Sign Supply and no telling how many other regular sign supplier, check out the link below. Asphaltum is probably available at your local large art supply store since it is used in several of the arts and crafts markets....namely printmaking. Asphaltum is used in litho block printing, along with metal plate etching processes. You should be able to buy a halp pint easily and probably quarts locally and save shipping and hazardous materials fees.

Lastly, go this page if you would like to read a farily concise article I did on this process I wrote for SignCraft a few years back: http://www.signcraft.com/GlueChipped.pdf

HARD TO FIND SIGN SUPPLIES
http://www.theletterheads.com/supplies/index.htm

Good luck,
Mike Jackson

Danny Baronian
Where are you located? Your better by finding a local vendor.

Someone recently purchased asphaltum from Peacock in PA. The asphaltum cost $ 30. It had to be shipped as a hazardous material and the freight alone was $ 40.

Danny
Jennifer Goodwin
Thanks Guys! I am located in Hampden, Maine...chances of finding things like that here are slim to none. But we do have a local art supply store that I am going to check first, he sells alot of signpainting and printmaking stuff so maybe I'll get lucky.
Mike, your work was one of my inspirations - Beautiful stuff! I've read and printed out your article. My husband and I own a Glass & Graphics business, he's mostly the glass and I'm mostly the graphics although we are both learning each others trades and this seems like it would marry the two. I already purchased a glue chipping kit, also, to see what it's like. Can't wait to get started and I have a ton of stupid questions that I may or may not ask :) Thanks for the replies.