Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

TIP today...parts bins

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

TIP today...parts bins

Post by Mike Jackson »

Posted by Kent Smith on November 11, 2001

TIP today...parts bins
I have often made parts bins from gallon solvent cans. Cut the can at a 45degree angle across the spout, removing the spout and leaving the handle. I use a bandsaw for a quick cut. Use duct tape over the raw metal edges of the opening. The bin with a handle can be kept on a shelf like a drawer and carried by the handle as needed. Much stronger and more versitle than conventional bins and it will also contain liquids when needed. This also takes care of the problem of disposing of a classified "hazardous" container.
Posted by Rick Sacks on November 12, 2001
Storing parts in open top containers often leads to them receiving much saw dust and other airborne debris. Kent I like your idea, but I might use the duct tape to hinge the top back on for a cover. Thank you. I also enjoy having several containers the same size.
Posted by Carol on November 13, 2001
Kent,
Are you saying that you get solvent in metal cans? I haven't seen them for years.
Posted by Raymond Chapman on November 14, 2001
I buy my solvents from Lowe's and they all come in metal cans - both gallons and quarts.
Posted by Mike Jackson on November 13, 2001
It seems a lot of products we buy are "overpackaged". Water, for example, now comes in a nice little bottle with a push/pull top for convenience. Seems like there should be other uses for the bottles. Our tap water is pretty good, so we fill them about 2/3 full and put them in the freezer. Then we use them as ice blocks in the coolers on outdoor trips, and after they melt a little, they make very good cold drinks. I don't think they could handle solvents, so I doubt they would be much good for paint.

If you have come up with another use for the water bottles that relate to the sign business, please post it here. This might be a good place to post ideas about using other day-to-day packaged items--instead of tossing them.

Mike Jackson
Posted by Rick Sacks on November 14, 2001
I have these small plastic shampoo containers that stand about five inches tall and they work great for solvents in my kit. One for thinner, one reducer, one turps, one hand cleaner, one boiled linseed oil.

I use the larger containers that dish soap comes in to hold deisel oil and often use a squirt of that for starting the morning fire.
Posted by Mike Jackson on November 14, 2001
We have a few of the Hand-See (sp?) pounce boxes around here. One for black charcoal, one for white talc, and one for rouge. We also have a small "old style" bag of each made out of a couple of layers of white t-shirt material, tied up with a rubber band. High-tech. Some of the little "throw-away" plastic bottles make good containers for small bags in the sign kit. They take up less room than a Hand-See box. Before the days of plastic, I'd have to think those small bottles would have been Gerber Baby Food jars. We still have a few of them around here with all kinds of oddball fluids and powders in them.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Posted by Billy Bob on November 15, 2001
Attach (tape) paint stir sticks to pounce bags for a convenient handle that minimizes having to touch the bag. It also gives additional range for "distance" pouncing.
Posted by Carol on November 15, 2001
Baby socks make good pounce bags. Small, easy to pack in a kit.
Posted by Mike Jackson on November 15, 2001
Jay Cooke used to use a 2" foam brush for his pouncing. He had it sitting in a can with charcoal powder in the bottom. The idea was to be able to grab just the handle, shake off the excess, and then rub across the pattern. It does work, but I wouldn't want to use it on a large billboard.

Mike Jackson
Posted by Jeff Lang on November 14, 2001
I use contact lens solution bottles for my thinners. Spirits, lacquer thinner, enamel reducer have all worked for me in those bottles. I especially like it when I need just a touch of thinner, these bottles work great.
Posted by Rick Sacks on November 14, 2001
I also like the clear 35mm plastic film cannisters. Drill a hole in the cap and you can put the tube assembly from those 1 ounce airbrush bottles in it. Keep the cap till it wears out or gets dirty, throw away the containers. Finally, a container that won't shatter when it hits the floor after it slips oout of the airbrush.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons