Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glue Chipping and Relative Humidity

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Glue Chipping and Relative Humidity

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by RODERICK on December 01, 2003
I've been told that low humidity is an important factor so would it be better if there was no humidity?You could perg the cabinet with gas to drop the humidty level to zero.

Roderick
Robare M.ovou
Just made my chipping box the other week, have yet to use it...been chipping glass outside of the box. Living here in the midwest, its cold outside about 40 degrees, and the radiator heat is on, about 40 percent relative humidity in here with the room temperature at 68 degrees...and the glass chipped on its own while sitting on the table.

Now I did try out the box and it gets down to 15-20 percent humidity at around 120 degrees, I will have to stick some glass in it to see if it chips faster and or better. Its just that I cant get the glass to the box fast enough.

As far as AC is concerned...my eyes always dryed out when Im in a AirConditioned room. And when I would get off the plane in New Mexico...out came the lip balm to keep my lips from drying out...talk about dry!

RMN

Roderick
My original question was purely conceptual and still stands.Would there be any benefit to zero humidity.Scott wrote that at 20 to 30 % he gets a nice fern chip in 6 hours but what if it was 0%?What kind of chip could you get at 0%.Think about it for a minute ,your controlling every aspect of this process .The Asphaltum.sandblasting,glue mix,heat level.The only thing I don't hear is alot of control of humidity what with some people saying 10,20 30%In his book Bob Mitchell say's"The optimum humidity is between 35 and 60 %". Of course it would be impractical in a large room like scotts but i'm talking about a small cabinet where it would be easy to control the air mix.Remember they thought the earth was flat at one time.

Roderick
Mike Jackson
Roderick,
Rick Glawson had one of the kitchen dehydrators in his back room...the kind used to make jerky, dried apples and so forth. Assuming this creates about as close to 0 humidity as you will probably get, Rick chipped a few small pieces in it and got a unique chip. I can't remember exactly what chip it was now, but it wasn't something I liked. I wrote it off as an interesting experiment and therefore never tried it on my own. You can do your own tests if you want to buy an inexpensive dehydrator or find one at a garage sale. I ruined my wife's Tupperware mixing bowl, but I don't want to press my luck on something like this.

With most glue chipping, all you really strive for is consistency. If 30% humidity, with the same thickness of glue does the desired effect in a dependable amount of time, then the only reason to modify that is if you just want to experiment to get different effects.

It seems to me that Rick's heat lamp box got the relative himidity down to closer to 10%, but I could be wrong on that. Part of that assumes there weren't a lot of people constantly opening the access door, letting in a new batch of humid air.

Maybe someone else remembers the pattern Rick got when he used his dehydrator. My best recollection was a very small snail chip pattern.

Mike Jackson
Danny Busselle

I
think we should stop going to extreams like your suggesting. Just no need. 1st get a Humidity and heat guage. and yes you want ZERO humidity,but practically everybody has maybe a little, thats what a nice wood cabnet with lights in the top are for. try it first I have never ran more that two bulbs "HEAT TYPE" put a small fan at the end on low so you have cross ventallation.
do not paint the cabnet.your "CABNET"will no longer work the way you want. It will no longer Breath
Scott Rowan
I agree with Danny. No need for extremes. My chipping room is 12' X 16'- great for those times when we have a lot of chipping to do. I can get this room to around 95F. and between 20 to 30% humidity. At these levels I can get a beautiful fern pattern chip usually in 6 hours.