Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

New Rawson & Evans photos added tonight -11-07-03

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

New Rawson & Evans photos added tonight -11-07-03

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on November 07, 2003

Not that I really needed to sit in front of the computer all night again, but I did take the time to scan and adjust a BUNCH of photos of Rawson and Evans signs. I added them to the recent Rawson & Evan entry page and built 5 pages of gallery photos. The new text on the entry page is more of a placeholder than the finished information. I have to dig around in my file cabinets to get more detailed and accurate information. Tod Swormstedt at the Museum has been helping along the way, too.

Additional good news.....!
I will add the download page for the United Cigars in the section soon. BUT, along with that image, I managed to talk Gary Godby into letting me make TWO more Rawson sign designs available for free download. I believe a couple were from previous Conclaves. I will be adding those pretty soon. I almost have a hankering to digitize "The Palace" someday, too. You'll see it on the Gallery Page #2.

Also, I will add links on the Gallery Pages at the top and bottom to make it easier to scroll through all the photos. It is 11:30 here tonight and I've done about all I can stand for one evening.

If readers have any solid information about the company you can share, please do so and I will add it.

Hope you enjoy the new photos.

http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/rawsonevans.html

Mike Jackson
Danny Busselle
Wow Mike we were just Talking a Eye Strain.QUESTION Want HELP That Right I would Be Willing TOO Help with this Pictures and I already Have A Good Idea of what I am getting into. If so e-mail or Call @818 353 2776 Thanks again Mike for doing this with you. I down here with John Studden. that was a By the way..
Larry White
Mike- I'm gonna send in a suggestion to Webster's Dictionary to include the phrase "Keepers of the Craft" in their next edition... and we're gonna put your picture next to it! Thanks for your love and commitment to this craft and artform and all your time and efforts in creating a little port hole into the past that we can all cherish and enjoy. The inspiration is marvelous!

...thanks, you are a true keeper of the craft....

-LW

Ron Berlier
Couldn't have put it any better than Larry. Mike you do the work of 10 people! Do you ever get to sleep? Thanks for all your effort and the sharing of all you personal rich resources.

Ron
Mike Jackson - New Downloads
Hi Ron, while you and Larry were pounding me on the back, I was obliviously adding the three downloads on the Rawson section as I had mentioned. I think they are working. Thanks to Gary Godby for allowing us to have two of his earlier projects to go with the United Cigar panel!

Sleep?

Mike

Mike Jackson - American Sign Museum helps this site.

I just hung up the phone with Tod Swormstedt at the American Sign Museum. They have some exciting news at their site about the new building...take a look by clicking on the link below.

Tod has been very generous with his time and energy with myself and this site. I called today to see if he had any additional information about Rawson & Evans. He is sending out a packet of photocopied blurbs from ST from the early issues, and will eventually get first generation scans of the actual images from the magazines for us. Should help the Rawson page a lot. He says there is a photo of Rawson on the front covere of issue #3 or #4. So, that's good news for the site.

He told me he sent out $11,000 for a grouping of Rawson & Evans glass pieces Rick Glawson had at his shop. Pat Mackle is helping crate them. He said he had raised around $4,800 so far to recover that expense and would be grateful to any supporter if they wanted to donate towards the purchase. Me mentioned that Sepp Leaf had donated $2000 towards the Rawson signs. If you have $100 or so lying around and you want to donate it to a worthy cause, I am certain Tod would appreciate the funds.

http://www.signmuseum.com/

Best wishes,
Mike Jackson

Kent Smith
Just as a teaser the Colorado Letterheads (AKA Denver Letterheads) will be putting together a challenge for everyone to help the Museum next Saturday (15th) and I will post it here shortly thereafter.
Jeffrey P. Lang
Wow Mike,
That was a great collection of pieces, glad to see they're being preserved & shared. I appreciate all of the work put into the pages. Thanks!
Jeff

Robare M. Novou
Wow is right! What a great bunch of photos. Thanks for posting them Mike,I just saved them to my hard drive for print out...but Im guessin' that they are low res. Any chance of gettin' some high res images, on CD, free or pay per view?

This Rawson and Evans thing may need its own website! Keep up the great work.

Im a little short on the history of these photos, are they copies or orginals? and if copies, who has the originals? And what was the purpose of these photos, salesman samples? or R&E archival?

RMN
Mike Jackson
Robare,
Pat Mackle can probably give us some more accurate information, but I believe the information goes something like this:

One of the guys standing behind the Van Dyke large panels worked at the Rawson & Evans plant. Apparently, Rawson & Evans created quite a few salesman photo albums or portfolios and this guy had one. He moved to California and worked for a company there who also did similar work. He remained there for quite a while and somehow the company ended up with the portfolio after the guy moved on or passed away. Pat Mackle somehow purchased the portfolio from the glass company and took it to Rick's place where they photograped each page, apparently hand held. You can see fingers holding certain pages and often causing some images to be slightly bowed or warped. The prints were 3x5 photos with one or two images per photo and I scanned four at a time last night, then cropped and squared them the beest I could.

If Pat still has the original portfolio, maybe we can promopt him into having them professionally scanned or photographed and put onto a CD, but I can't promise that. I figured since Rick gave (I may have paid for the photo processing) me the prints, he would not have minded if I showed them on the site.

Just figure the new Rawson pages as the skeleton of things to come. It takes quite a while to polish something like that off, but at least the bare bones are there now.

At one time, we thought Rick actually owned the photo album and no one knew where it got off to, but it was refreshing to hear that Pat Mackle had owned it all along and had shared it with Rick.

I will probably make a page someday that explains where the photos came from and how we now have acces to them.

Take care,
Mike Jackson