Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

HDU Letters & Resin & Gilding

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

HDU Letters & Resin & Gilding

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by John Grenier on September 20, 2003
We are cutting some HDU letters (round face) and going to be coating them with 2part resin (got it in Tomahawk from coastal) watched a demonstration and have had previous experience with other resins years back. One set is chrome yellow, so I know I can color the resin with enamel.

The question is gilding the resin letters, will the resin itself hold the gild?

Would this be a good place to finally use that Krol(?) 2 part size?

Would this be the time to use that wipe-it off technique?

Looking forward to some guidence.

John
Kent Smith
I particularly like their resin especially with the alcohol spritz for smooth doming. BTW I have had great success that way over edge prints. I still prefer a light (thin) coat of slow size which will level nicely if you refrain from a lot of extra brushing. Adheres nicely to the resin but you need to be sure the bubbles go away completely leaving no pits, ie the alcohol trick, as the pits really light up under gold. I don't like the wiping technique as you risk marring the size enough to show under the gold if you hit it too late.
Danny Busselle
Wipe off with a Chamoise. Best for Luster. Blow you away. You'll Melt Down John, It's that good.