Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Open Range Signs

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Open Range Signs

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Rick Janzen on September 28, 2003
Hello
Thought I might drop in and say hi. My name is Rick Janzen and I was the Sign Painter on Open Range. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the show.The sign that seems to be getting some attention is Doc Barlows smalt sign.The sign was constructed out of MDF along with the the boarder that was faux finished to look like wood. I used black sandblasting sand for the background and One Shot Gold for the Lettering(this is the movies you know.)I must say out of all the westerns that I've worked on Open Range had some of the nicer signs that I had the pleasure to paint. the designer that I worked with for the signs was Ted Hagel out of LA. Most shows that I work on have an art dept. that does all the design work and I get the task of reproducing whatever they come up with(some good some bad)and then need everything yesterday.The best part of the job is painting the signs and then aging them to match the setting. The volume and size of signs that have to be painted for a show can vary greatly depending on the period of the show and most are hand painted so they can be aged. The paints that I use are mostly flat latex because it dries fast and looks faded with one coat' but I also use One Shot Poster or any other depending on whats to done. Feel free to drop me a line at r.janzen@shaw.ca . On a closing note I would like to thank Mike Jackson for taking the time to put together the Mainstreet and Classic Sign Painter CDs( thanks for the lifesaver in the box)because I was getting tired of seeing Coral clipart being used over and over. Talk to you soon. Rick
Rick Sacks
Over the years I've done several movies and never had my name in the credits as a signwriter. Scenics and standby's get recognition. I thought it was awesome to see Rick and his son's names there as signwriters. Perhaps this will be a new trend.
Mike Jackson
Hi Rick,
Thanks for taking the time to make a post here. Check in often! Though the production manager probably drove you crazy, I bet the projects like that are fun. Nice scenery, too! There are probably rules prohibiting you from posting photos of the project in progress, but if not, I am sure we would all like to see some.

Thanks againk,
Mike Jackson
Bob
Rick,
Nice to hear from you and welcome to the Board.
Great work on the movie, Ted's name sounds familar, is his shop in Burbank?
What about you, are you from L.A. also?
By any chance did you do the sign work in Tombstone to? Bob