Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

A bunch of new Rick Glawson Instructions and Techniues added

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

A bunch of new Rick Glawson Instructions and Techniues added

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on August 15, 2003
Hi again,
I spent some time tonight and built six or seven new pages containing Rick Glawson tips, techniques, and instructions. Here's a list of the new pages:

(Can be found on the old forum site.) http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/glawsonmain.html

Glue Chip on Glass-Rick's Asphaltum Method
Glue Chip on Glass- Bob Mitchell's Method
Varnish and Paint List and Suggested Uses
Angel Gilding Instructions
Silvering Instructions
Black Glass Instructions / Lead Nitrate
Acid Etch / Mica Process
Abalone Applicaton Techniques

Special thanks to Larry White for typing up many of the new pages. Danny Barronian supplied the Varnish and Paint list.

Enjoy!
Keepers of the Craft
Mike Jackson

Hi Forum Readers (part of the Original Letterheads Web Site),
Unfortunately, Rick Glawson never got around to actually writing a book, but he did manage to leave a lot of great information written down. With the aid of quite a few sign makers, we have been able to assemble much of it here. I guess you could say the group at "The Original Letterheads Web Site" are "Keepers of the Craft!"...and mean it!

The Internet fees for this site came up for renewal last month and I paid it for another year. Hopefully we can coax the Denver Letterheads to help pay for the monthly fees again this year. The site is getting great support and more readers all the time. Thanks all!

Mike Jackson
Robin Sharrard
How much are the fees, and what can we do to help? Don't have a "Chapter" in Fallon, Nevada, but I'm sure I could get with my good friends in California, who have provided me with so much support. Robin

Mike Jackson
Hi Robin,
The last thing I want to do on this site is belly ache about money and the cost of the site. There was a period when it seemed no one was posting nor using the site, and at that point I was wondering whether it was worth it. The Denver Chapter, with the encouragement of Kent Smith, felt it was keeping up and helped again with the fees. They are paid up until October 1st.

In retrospect, having site active was extremely valuable for all of us back in March when Rick Glawson passed away. The site and the BB became a critical link in keeping everyone posted. Rick's passing also seemed to bring a lot of people back together and drew additional people to the site.

Esoteric is a shell of its former condition. Ron Percell started LetterheadSignSupply.com and now sells a lot of the discontinued paints and supplies in smaller quantities. Ron mentioned kicking in some money when it is needed.

My post the otehr day was really inteneded on letting people know the site is going to be around for a while, and also to acknowledge the Denver Letterheads for their vision to help keep it going at a time when I wasn't so conviced it was needed.

I looked into pHp bulletin boards and even downloaded it to see if I could get it to work. After spending an hour or two messing with it, I had to call my web host. Apparently I need to upgrade to a their platinum level to get some of the needed software at the server level. That would be an increase of only $20 per month, but I wasn't certain I wanted to commit to an additional $240 per year. Chuck Davis told me he would help me get it going, but I just let it drop.

Thanks for the offer to help with funds, but hopefully that won't be an issue.

Take care,
Mike Jackson /co-host

Robin Sharrard
Thanks for your very informative reply, Mike. While I have not posted on this site, for what ever reason, as a fledgling Letterhead, I have gained a great deal of knowledge from it and would gladly make a donation to it's further existance. I do believe that with Rick's passing, the need for this site and the benifites that it provides will be much higher.

While Ron Percell is doeing a great job keeping as many of the supplies availible, and he will take the time to answer questions, I don't believe any one person can replace the collective knowledge that this site can muster up.

While I'm not trying to speak for other people, I do think most of us understand that it does cost money to keep something like this alive and healthy.

So please don't worry about asking for help when it is needed. Robin

Lee Littlewood
Yeah.
Kent Smith
The Colorado Letterheads are committed to keeping this site alive due to the educational and historical value. Our limited funds are kept only for eucational purposes and as a Not For Profit Corporation, which was required for insurance and facility contracts in hosting the 1995 International, we must vote on expenditures. We have to have our annual minutes available to the Secretary of State so we wait until Mike says he needs a check. I am sure we will be able to do another year but I cannot really speak for the group as a formal vote is required.