Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gremlins in my 12k white gold?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Lorenzo Petersson

Gremlins in my 12k white gold?

Post by Lorenzo Petersson »

Hello! Hoping that this is just an anomaly and that someone might have some info.

Has anyone ever have white gold (or other quality) refuse to leave the book except in rags or pieces? I’m steady enough to lift and lay full leaves without messing up too often.

So I opened a new book of 12k this week, had only used two leaves (lifted with no protests whatsoever) a couple of days ago and today i had to litterally peel them off from the stitched side and ended up with ragged halves at best. The whole book is like this. I can roll them off on oil size so i’ll keep it for patching in a pinch...

This was a recently book of superior 12k, bought from a local art store that has skilled and knowledgeable guy who tends their leaf stock, never had a problem with leaf from this place before. They repackage their leaf in cardboard so I don’t know the make, the guy is soon to retire and only works every now and then so chatting him up about it anytime soom is unlikely.

At first i thought it was static but no amount of panting, huffing or cursing would coerce the buggers to lift. I used a regular tip (i dont own a badger one) and it was murder.
My only source of knowledge on gilding nowadays is Kent Smiths bible, it does not mention this problem, so i figure it aint common. Or is it?

Anyone else get a book like this at some point?
Is it too much rouge? Did they produce the book in a glue factory?
Is this a bug/feature of 12k withe gold or does it just occasionally end up with a gremlin sleeping on it?
Terry Westlin

Re: Gremlins in my 12k white gold?

Post by Terry Westlin »

I don't do much gold leaf so this is only a guess. I wonder if it's patent leaf? If it comes off the tissue while pressing then it may be?

Hopefully, a more knowledgeable member can help you out.
Terry
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

I don't know where your located... or how your storing your packs of leaf. But it could be that a rise in humidity caused it to stick.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Lorenzo Petersson

Post by Lorenzo Petersson »

Thanks for the replies!
Terry Westlin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:48 pm I wonder if it's patent leaf? If it comes off the tissue while pressing then it may be?
Hi Terry! Funny thing is that it sort of behaved as if it were in between patent and loose. I bought it labelled loose and it comes in the loose leaf book (no transfer sheet) but it would only roll out of the book or dragged to rags with violence (relative such since we're talking leaf yeah :) )
Tyler Tim wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:23 pm I don't know where your located... or how your storing your packs of leaf. But it could be that a rise in humidity caused it to stick.
Hi Tyler!
Yes, atmospherical conditions could have done it but wouldn't all leaf in the room be affected?
The thing is i was laying 18k litterally five minutes previous and right after this incident (i was making customer samples to show different finishes and combos) and it behaved just as usual. That's why i mentioned that the two other leaves werent acting up.
I'm fairly new to loose leafing (hence the question if 12k is known to be temperamental or if it's just a freak occurrence) but i've dealt with sticking and situationally non-cooperative leaf a little before and that usually just means i have to be more careful of technique and be ten times as calm and patient.

I tried lifting one of the remaining leaves just to test and they behaved the exact same way: would not budge except the innermost (closes to the stitching) quarter piece, wouldn't atmospheric conditions change and with it the problem?

I store my leafbooks individually between two gently taped together squares of passepartout cardboard in a tin box together with my tips and capsules (in a separate ziplock) and i keep it out the way and free of dust and n within reasonable limits.
I've never had any similar issues with other leaf qualities or the first book of white i worked through. The cardboard pieces arent fully sealed with regular paper masking tape, i just have one strip along one side that stays there as a hinge (stitching goes in it's direction to avoid accidents) and another on the opposite side that gets replaced every time i open the package just as a precaution.

I'm still leaning towards a production hiccup or the generally sound Gremling theory, it would make sense.

At the moment i'm mostly feeling lucky i wasn't somewhere on a job, i'll be checking books before heading out from now on...
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I've only had that problem once with silver leaf....the books were pretty old when I got them and I just abandoned them as white gold is/was my primary choice. Does the rouge look unusual in anyway? I'd be tempted to put them in the fridge overnight and see if that dehumidifies sufficiently.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I should add that depending on experience a good cleaning of your gilders tip and a re-charge might also be in order