Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

How is this done

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Terry Westlin

How is this done

Post by Terry Westlin »

I mainly do etched glass and just dabble in gold leaf work so this is beyond me. I don't post much as I don't do much in the way of the techniques some of you masters do. So not much to offer.

Anyway, I am trying to figure how the bevel is done on the image below (not my work, just something I grabbed online for ideas). It really makes things pop.I am trying to get into a little more than just an easy project so I can add some to my etch work.

Any tips or vids would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Terry
RestroomsLG.jpg
RestroomsLG.jpg (46.75 KiB) Viewed 16270 times
Terry
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: How is this done

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Terry,

the photo you posted is referred to as a Boston gild.

This thread should give you an better idea of the process: viewtopic.php?t=3495 and viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1219&p=2960&hilit=boston+gild#p2960

In the thread they're discussing palladium. While the steps described are a Botson gild, I believe a single karat of gold is generally used.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Terry Westlin

Post by Terry Westlin »

Thank you very much for the links. Very much appreciated.
Terry
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Hey Terry
This is Bob Gamache. I was breezing through some older posts and stumbled on your post from 2018! I'm the person who made the gilded black glass restroom sign. It hangs in the playwright bar in times square nyc. its about 10"x24". You probably figured the technique out already by now but I'll share regardless. I started with clear glass, I then painted in reverse the background black leaving the lettering and scrolling clear. I used quick size to paint in the bevel sections then water gilded using 23k. Then sealed the entire back of the glass with backup black with hardener.
Cheers
Bob
Bob Gamache
Terry Westlin

Post by Terry Westlin »

Thank you very much Bob
Terry