Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Oil size problem

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

alan giberson

Oil size problem

Post by alan giberson »

Has anyone experienced this before?
23F9CE38-9814-4F0F-A444-82171B2F4CE1.JPG
23F9CE38-9814-4F0F-A444-82171B2F4CE1.JPG (17.91 KiB) Viewed 3421 times
The size starts to crawl a couple minutes after putting it on. I am using the Charbonnel 12 hour size from LHSS. The background was painted weeks ago with some Sherwin Williams oil based enamel, so it's fully cured. The brush I used, I only use it for varnishes, so there was no contamination in it. The pounce powder is the Han-See brand of white.
Andrew Lawrence

Re: Oil size problem

Post by Andrew Lawrence »

Looks like the size and the paint aren't compatible. Maybe try painting a thin coat of imitation gold/yellow ochre where you are going to letter and then hitting it with the 12 hour. Never seen anything like that though.
pat mackle

Re: Oil size problem

Post by pat mackle »

If you can break the surface of the Sherwin Williams with lightly rubbing it with some #000 steel wool pad that should keep the size from rolling back to itself. I have to think that if the SW paint repels the size when it's wet, that the final dry adhesion is also jeopardized. Are you certain that this series of SW paint isn't advertised to be "easy cleaning" or "graffiti resistant"? There may be modifiers in the base vehicle to make the surface less friendly to paints of a different nature preventing crosslinking or bonding.