Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

that dipped marble we used to do....

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Rick Sacks

that dipped marble we used to do....

Post by Rick Sacks »

I got a note from a friend yesterday reminding me of years back at letterhead gatherings at our shop where we had a tray of water and floated lettering enamel on it and could swirl the colors on the top of the water and roll objects onto it getting a very interesting marble effect. Kids were painting their shoes. Computer cases, and backgrounds on aluminum panels.

So, Frank wanted to do this recently and said the colors wouldn't float anymore. He said it just creates dots and/or sinks to the bottom.
He tried thinning, Chromoflo, detergent, hot water and more. Nothing worked. Do you have any ideas or is it just the crappy paint we have now?
Frank

My thought was there might not be enough oil in the color anymore? What do you think?
Mendocino, California
"Where the redwoods meet the Sea"
Lee Littlewood

Re: that dipped marble we used to do....

Post by Lee Littlewood »

"It's The Water"
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: that dipped marble we used to do....

Post by Mike Jackson »

Rick,
Atkinson's book mentions using Gum Tragacanth, which is the solution we used at a few of the early Letterheads meetings.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons