Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Painting Metal Shutters

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Francois Morel

Painting Metal Shutters

Post by Francois Morel »

Hi,
I would like to know if there is a better way to paint on a metal shutter (shop).
It's brand new and I was about to sand it and apply a paint for metal, then paint my logo using one shot paint.
Do I need to lay a kind of primer on it before or is there another way to do the job?

Thank you for your help.
♫ A B C
It's easy as, 1 2 3
As simple as, do re mi ♫
Lee Littlewood

Re: Painting Metal Shutters

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Umm, is it bare metal now? Steel or aluminum?

On bare metal you do want to get rid of any rust or grease and then prime it with the right primer for the metal - a galvanizing primer for steel, an aluminum primer or prep-coat for aluminum. Then you can coat with whatever kind of paint you like - 1Shot, or lacquer, or waterbased. Your final lettering color should stick to most paints once they are dry.

If the shutters are already coated, then you can probably just do a light sanding (or steel wool) to get a receptive surface and then paint. See above.

I am imagining "shutters" to be frames holding horizontal slats (what we use for covering windows) - a very bumpy surface. i would probably try to coat them with spray paint. And maybe even try to use some masking material and a spray can for your logo design - if you have the background color you can use a brush to touch up some of the leaks in the masking. Any kind of bumpy surface is tedious with a brush, and it can interfere with legibility.

(do shops really use shutters in Paris? For windstorms or riots or theft-control?)
Take pictures and post them
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Francois Morel

Re: Painting Metal Shutters

Post by Francois Morel »

Hey Lee
Thanx for your advises.
Well, the shutter is brand new and galvanized if I'm not wrong.
It's flat except between "slats" and yes I did a color test with a brush and obviously it's ugly.
As roller won't go between slats, I choosed spraycans...
So it seems we had the same idea :)
I still want to have some fun, so I will paint the logo with a brush on the sprayed background...
I guess it will be ok.

It's a quite simple thing...
I'll post a pict.

thnx again

ps: not because of riots but because of thieves and to protect windows and "weak" doors I guess.
Paris is not a jungle, do not trust tv :)
♫ A B C
It's easy as, 1 2 3
As simple as, do re mi ♫