Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

No Hand Lettering Today in JH

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

No Hand Lettering Today in JH

Post by Mike Jackson »

Dec4Temp.JPG
Dec4Temp.JPG (10.64 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Here's a screen grab from my computer this morning. It is hard to do much at all outside at this temperature.
Hand lettering would be out of the question!
Green_Door.jpg
Green_Door.jpg (524.45 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
On days like this, I think about the Mormon settlers that came to this valley in 1896. They would have had days this cold and colder, but would have been living in poorly insulated houses or cabins and huddled around the pot belly stove. Still, they would have needed to gather wood and feed and water the livestock. We have snow blowers and street plows, but most of their snow removal would have had to be done by hand. I go out in goose down jackets and heavy wool and leather gloves and state of the art boots. I can't imagine their clothing being that warm. Isolation would also be a killer on the short days and long, cold nights. Don't mess with the Mormons.
Distant_Neighbors.jpg
Distant_Neighbors.jpg (241.72 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
Hope your 2013 is a great one.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Re: No Hand Lettering Today in JH

Post by Raymond Chapman »

No worries down here in Texas.
Doug Bernhardt

Re: No Hand Lettering Today in JH

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Goldie. I keep a couple of weather channels on my desktop as well. Teton village is one of them as whenever I see it getting harsh for you I know it's only a few days from here. Last week while you were settling into the deep freeze we were getting a warmshot. That sure is ending now as you can't see out the windows today. I often wondered how the early settlers managed as well. Every now and then you hear a tale of one of them perishing a few yards from their house after visiting the barn even with a guide-rope tied between the buildings.