Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lincoln Highway mural number 26 - Matteson, IL

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jay Allen

Lincoln Highway mural number 26 - Matteson, IL

Post by Jay Allen »

Number 26 is about to be installed in Matteson, IL

This one tells another story of a local garage - Mahler's Garage - and how instrumental the family was in how new roads such as the Lincoln Highway could provide them with a living - as they provided disabled automobile owner's with service. It actually will be installed on the very same building so I had to paint the building correctly to make it look right!!

52 hours to paint the entire pictorial (and clean brushes) . . . Basically, this is an 8' x 18' mural. Yes, those 'photo corners' are routed, 3/4" thick HDU painted with Hammer-rite paint in 2 colors - black and silver - to give the look of a cheap pewter or tin (which the old metal ones were). I do like my 3-D elements on a mural . . . The intention was (if you haven't figuered it out yet) to make this look like a page out of a photo album . . .

As always, mural panel engineering and border work by the stellar Joe Marshall . . . my design and paint.

The design we presented is the first slide . . . The last is the finished mural - perspective fixed.

http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq14 ... =slideshow

Number 27 is for the town of Mokena, IL and tells the story of another local service garage - and the farm implements it also sold. Project ends March 31, 2013 - supposed to be 33 murals in all.