Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

The Aultman Taylor decal project

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Rick Janzen

The Aultman Taylor decal project

Post by Rick Janzen »

A while back, I was commissioned to re-create an historic decal that was used on farm equipment back at the turn of the century. There was very little information to go from, so it was a mix of using what little reference I had, and a little guess work. I was inspired to finish the artwork off using the computer after seeing Dave Smith's project, the John Mayer Band cover art. I still have some work to do, but the finish line is in site. I hand painted the first 80%, and will finish the rest off using Photoshop / Illustrator and Flexi Pro. I've also posted a little more on the process at: http://streamlinestudios.blogspot.ca/ This type of work can be quite challenging, but also very rewarding when you have the finished product in hand.

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: The Aultman Taylor decal project

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Rick,
First, it looks GREAT, as usual.

Second, thanks for posting here on the Hand Lettering Forum.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

It turned out excellent Rick! It's always great to see your projects, there is such a wide variety.
Are you going to come to Kewanee and help me next summer?
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Rick Janzen

Post by Rick Janzen »

Thanks Mike, always nice to drop by and see whats going on. So Kelly, whats happening in Kewannee that you need me to come and distract you from work?
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Someone (Nancy I believe) decided it was time I was a project leader. I'd be a lot more comfortable taking a few key team members with me. I have the fire department mural and think we could have some fun with ornate borders. More importantly, you'll keep me laughing so I won't get all stressed.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Pat Welter

Post by Pat Welter »

Hey Ricks, Nice work...I sometimes wonder if we're not part detective as apposed to sign painters with the research we need to do on some of the projects that come our way...finding the info we need can be just as exciting as painting the job ...anyway nicely done. Pat
Creativity is allowing ones self to make mistakes. Talent is knowing which ones to keep.
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Looks great ! Are you doing it as a water slide decal ? Who is is doing the decals for you ? There is one of the oldest in the country in Long Beach Cal.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the final product.

Art Decal
1800 742 0270
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Love it Rick! Great job, you have some nice transitions of blends in the scroll work. Design also is flawless.

Great!
Dave
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Roderick mentioned the Art Decal Company. They seem to be primarily decals for ceramics, which is still a going concern. They do have a few water slide decals, and will make some for you, but seem pretty hesitant about it. I wrote asking about decal paper, and they suggested Bell Decals in Florida. I haven't tried them yet - does anybody know of them?
where am i? Now, when i need me...