Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Steven Parrish

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Steven Parrish

Post by Mike Jackson »

This photo fell out of a pile of photos today, seeming to want to be displayed. This is a photo of Steven Parrish in front of a bank sign. He looks a little younger than when most of us knew him.

For more photos of Steven Parrish and his work, click below:

http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/parrish.html

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

More memories

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Mike, you're really good at bringing up those old memories, aren't you? He does look a bit younger than the early Letterhead days. It seems that a lot of us are beginning to look a lot older than we used to.

Parrish was one of a kind. They don't make them like that anymore.

You ought to write down those "Parrish Stories" so that some of the younger generations would be able to hear them. It's too cold to fish, so what else do you have to do?
Bill King

Post by Bill King »

Hi Mike - I just had to reply and say thank you to you and all the others that contribute to this forum. I've been in the sign business for 5+ years running solo and have recently been bit by the Gold Bug. And I mean hard. As I learn this part of the craft, I'm constantly blown away, drawn to and can't get eneough of this site. Thank you for the "archives", the tips, the photos, and all the time that goes into this site. As you no doubt have your mentors, the likes of you, Raymond, Kent and a host of others are mine. Keep up the passion and know that it's being passed on. Bill King
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Raymond,
I keep mentioning that box of Beta Max tapes. They contain some little short clips of videos with people like Oatis, Parrish, Weber, and even myself just before the Oklahoma Bash. I've spent part of the last year trying to learn a little about making DVDs using captured video off our digital video camera, and I recently converted all our old VHS tapes over to DVD. I was planning on converting all the Sony tapes to DVD, too. Once that is all done, the next challenge is to select small segments and get them captured to the computer so I can edit them and combine them to a DVD. Danny Baronian has been helping me a little throughout the year, but I am in uncharted waters now. People do that all the time, but I don't know anyone to ask yet.

When all this happens, I hope to include a few short AVI clips here, so we can see and hear Steven Parrish tell us about doing business with banks. I found a VHS tape that have been dubbed from one of the old Sony tapes a long time ago from Charles Kuralt's sunday morning show. When you look at the photo of Steven above, I think you can tell he was quite a character, however it is not until you hear him speak that you can really get the full grasp of his nature. His speach was slow, calculated and deliberate—delivered with the flair of a well rehearsed actor.

So, besides trying to get my regular little jobs completed, I am spending an hour or so each night going though old photos, albums and so forth that I find while searching for those tapes. Like I said earlier, Steven's photo above seemed to just jump out of a stack.

Bill, Thanks for the compliments and words of support. I think we are all happy with the direction this Forum took from day one. It is a friendly little spot on the Internet, packed with a lot of talented people. I have been posting a lot of older historical photos and documents, mostly older Letterheads stuff, but I encourage other people to do the same. I have a few photos here of our Casting Call and our Totem Heads little Letterheads Art Camps that I hope to scan and post someday. Feel free to post photos of other Letterheads meetings, along with stories and photos of your friends and mentors.

Being the packrat I am, I could fill this Forum up with old photos. Yikes!

Best regards,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons