Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Where have all the Letterhead meets gone???

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

Where have all the Letterhead meets gone???

Post by joe cieslowski »

Loved seeing those shots from Mike of meets past.

Where have they all gone?? The meets, that is.

Fred Self ended his meet do to a lack of interest.......is that the situation?

Just wondering .......
Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Where have all the Letterhead meets gone???

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Joe,
At one time, I tried to keep a list of the upcoming meets, but that was taking a lot of time and energy.

Steve Shortreed at Letterville is doing a great job of keeping the Events List current.

http://www.letterville.com/events/

I just went there to get the URL above and see there are quite a few upcoming, and there is another page dedicated to recent events. So, it looks to me like it is all still going strong.

Noel used to do "Art Camps" in which he hired an instructor, like Bill Hueg, to teach a weekend course in pictorial painting. People paid to take the class and help pay Bill. Darla and I took it a different direction and tried to do a meeting around a specific topic or theme, and surround the meeting with a lot of external fun things to do while in Jackson Hole. The Totem Heads was in the summer and we all floated the whitewater section of the Snake River. Casting Call was in the winter. In between all the mold making and casting, we did some sledding and took a snowmobile tour to Granite Hot Springs. Noel is still doing something similar to his Art Camps with his Gold Leaf Seminars.

It is still fun to go through some of the old photos. I have a couple of albums from the Oklahoma Bash and stacks of photos of other events. Too bad they weren't digital and cataloged in Lightroom. They'd be much easier to find and organize. Right now, the negatives are in boxes somewhere and lots of the photo prints are faded or color shifted.

In the fall, it will be the 30th anniversary of the Oklahoma Bash. That's amazing!

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

There is only one US meet listed for this year and it's a walldog meet. I guess you could say it is a "themed" meet like you conducted.

Check this link to past meets and you'll see, as you scroll down, that the further back you go, the more meets were held.

http://www.letterville.com/meets/

I think this speaks more to my question.

Thanks,

Joe
Last edited by joe cieslowski on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Billie DeBekker

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Seems most of them are getting to be more localized lately Joe, Jeff Cahill Had a small one in November in Falcon I an going to try having one in the spring (TBD)
(I may also be going to Arcola)

But I think your right the Large ones have turned into Walldog meets as of late.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

I would be interested in investing my time to arange a meet at my place and organize letterhead trips around Amsterdam and some interesting spots in the Netherlands. But as I never have been ad one my self, due to be a newbe, I do not know if I am granted the honour of hosting one.
Furthermore the economy could be a big factor for a lot of people, but on the other hand there was a lot of interest in the Irish meet that was planned for this summer.

If people are interested in a Letterhead meet in Amsterdam, let me know.

Erikieee
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Just in case people haven't seen it, here's a link to the 1982-1993 Letterheads Timeline, published with permission from Signs of the Times:
http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/timeline.html

Meetings were fast and furious in those early years!

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

There is a small Letterheads gathering in Austin, Texas, the last weekend in February but I'm not sure of the contents. Just heard about it from Mike Myers.

The big meets became very expensive and time consuming to manage and then (in my opinion) they became more party oriented rather than educational.
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Thanks Mike for posting the ST Letterheads Timeline. It's not a big deal, but the "Lone Star Letterheads" that I hosted in Texas was November, 1983, rather than January, '84 as listed on the timeline. We had a small "Lone Star Revisited" here in November, 2003 (20 years later).

I think the group shot of the Letterheads on the tanker car at the Oklahoma Bash is the most famous photo in Letterhead history.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Raymond,
It took months of paperwork and red tape to get Union Pacific to drop a tanker off at the place for us! It was tagged with chalk by a lot of talented people.

Actually, it just happened to be there that day and made a great group photo prop.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons