Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Early Letterheads photos

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Early Letterheads photos

Post by Mike Jackson »

Noel Weber sent these two images to me by email recently.
Mike Jackson, Raymond Chapman, and Noel Weber at the Boise BBQ in the summer of 1982. The Oklahoma Bash was in the fall of 1982.
Mike Jackson, Raymond Chapman, and Noel Weber at the Boise BBQ in the summer of 1982. The Oklahoma Bash was in the fall of 1982.
BoiseBBQ1.jpg (96.54 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
I am not sure of the date. This might have been taken at the Boise BBQ.
I am not sure of the date. This might have been taken at the Boise BBQ.
DenverHeads.jpg (113.05 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
Mike Moore, Joe Tedesco, (?), Carl Rohrs, Noel Weber, Mark Oatis, and Bob Mitchell.
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Tony Segale

Re: Early Letterheads photos

Post by Tony Segale »

can I get one of those Bob Mitchell T-shirts?
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Thanks for sharing these, Mike. Great memories of that weekend. Wonder why we all look so young?

The ? guy in the photo was from Idaho if I remember - Sun Valley, I think, but can't remember his name.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

While these guys were growing hair, I was only ten and was climbing trees...
I had fun, but feel I have missed out.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
oatis

Post by oatis »

The young men pictured are decidedly on the VERY THIN side. This was probably due to diet or, ahem, metabolism.

The dude between Tedesco and Carl is Bob Mulcahy: still goin' strong in Denver.

A wonderful story came out of Mike Jackson's Oklahoma meet, held some months after the Boise Barbeque. It seems there was a moment of awkward silence when the venerable Steven Parrish first encountered Bob Mitchell, wearing the same shirt pictured here. Upon reading the message, the elderly Parrish smiled, cleared his throat, and said, "Young man, it occurs to me that your message can be transfomed into a brilliant philosophy of our Journey Through Life, with the simple addition of a single comma."

"Huh?", said Bob, a bit defensively.

"Sure", replied Steven, We "Eat, - and Die." "That really sums it up!"

Bob cracked up, so did the several dozen others present, and Mr. Parrish, resplendent in his trademark Kelly green suit, retained his spot as the beloved master.

Great photos, Mike. I'm goin' on a diet.
oatis

Post by oatis »

Aw shucks, Mike. Out of respect for Steven's classic and barely off-color punchline, I suggest a one-time relaxation of your profanity filter; especially given the suitably unedited photographic content.

I seen rougher'n that on last Sunday's Superbowl halftime show.

Thanks,

Mark
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Thanks Mark. I am sorry I didn't remember Bob's name, though after you wrote it in the post it became crystal clear again. 30 years is hard on me in that regard, however.

I had to laugh a little when I saw the photo. Looks like you must have lived in that shirt for a couple of weeks before the group photo! :)

Bob Mitchell was always teetering on the edge of common civility. I remember one of his gold leaf glass sign pieces that fully spelled out the old IOAFS acronym. That t-shirt was fairly tame by comparison. Good story from Steven!

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons