Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Screen fabric

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Robert Schwieger

Screen fabric

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Just curious. What type screen fabric are glass gold folks using for backing up gold with Gilder's Black? Have been using 12XX to 20XX (200) successfully, both monofilament and multifilament. Screens using courser fabric (12XX) can be reclaimed better than the fine mesh, otherwise printing doesn't seem to differ except for the density of the paint film. Success stories? Thanks. Bob
John Studden

Re: Screen fabric

Post by John Studden »

Bob, I usually use 180-200 mesh for glass work, they put down plenty enough ink & are good for fine line work, & can be cleaned easily. The coarser the mesh the more chance of sawtoothing on the finished job, that never looks good. Blasting the screens with a power washer usually takes care of them, they should last for years............
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Bill DeBekker

Post by Bill DeBekker »

Ahhh.. No wonder why I have been having issues.. I was using 300.

Great post as I was going to ask the same thing..
Robert Schwieger

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Hello, Has anybody noticed any difference between the monofilament and multifilament fabric for glass work particularly reclaiming?? Bob
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

Bob, You do not need multifilament for glass or any other type of fine line work, I buy aluminum frames from McLogan supply already made, they are very light & strong, and a very good price. The lighter the better for window work. Stay away from wooden frames, they tend to warp after a couple of washes, no matter what type of wood they are made from.................
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California