Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Brush Lettering Classes

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jeff Cahill

Brush Lettering Classes

Post by Jeff Cahill »

Just as I was further lamenting the demise of our (hand lettering) craft/trade, I've been asked (repeatedly) now by attendees at some of my old-time woodworking and hand lettering demonstrations, if I taught the skills they were witnessing? Or, where could they go for classes? Since there are no existing schools anymore in our region, I thought long & hard on that.

As a result, I've been putting together an initial one day class which will be offered on the 30th of April, 2011 to anyone interested. There are no prerequisites. Just an open mind and a willingness to learn. As with our Letterheads movement, I'd ask for anyone attending to leave their ego at the door. We may do other ones or subsequent follow-up classes if there's an apparent interest.

The first forum will be where I do my 1880's re-enactments in Colorado Springs, Co. "Rock Ledge Ranch" is a 200+ acre, 1880's
ranch/farm that has been lovingly restored and staffed (in season) with volunteer docents/interpreters like myself. We faithfully re-enact and offer a look back in time at some of the crafts and skills that were displaced by modernity. The loft or upper floor of the ranch's barn will be our workspace and there are rest facilities close by. It's a little hike into the park, so I'd advise wearing comfortable shoes for the walk and also, for doing the work at the easels. Hay bales will probably be our only seats. You'd need to bring your own snacks, lunch, and drinks.

You should know that this initial foray is primarily a fund-raising event for the ranch because of reduced funding by our lower sales tax revenues. See the website at <www.rockledgeranch.com> and search for classes or workshops and fees. I'll be submitting the syllabus/materials list this week and hopefully they should be posted pretty quickly. You can also contact me directly at (719) 683-2890.

The second venue MAY be at Eastfield Village In Nassau, N.Y next to the Massachusetts border. We're still in negotiations, but I hope to know something the first of the year. ( This may be a two or three day affair.) The owner of this park has (miraculously) assembled numerous 1700's and 1800 's buildings over the past 40 or so years on his father's "East Field".... Feel free to visit his website at <www.greatamericancraftsmen.org> or through a google search at "Eastfield Village". See the plethora of "lost craft" courses that he's offered. I hope to be on his class list for 2011. ( Wouldn't hurt to shoot him an e-mail if you're interested in attending a class on the east coast!)

Perhaps this can at least START to be a beginning to stop this downward decline!? And Pierre Tardif...if you're listening out there, keep up the good work up North.

Jeff Cahill; Quality Signs & Designs- Falcon, Colorado. <www.qualitysignsanddesigns.com>
Billie DeBekker

Re: Brush Lettering Classes

Post by Billie DeBekker »

Jeff.. You can count on me being there with Bells on.. I have been wanting to meet you for some time since I only Live 40 miles from you. Already Marked on my Calendar.

Is that by the old Flying W ranch.
Raymond Chapman

Re: Brush Lettering Classes

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Why Jeff, I didn't know you could hand letter! :)