Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Putting an image on a pool table felt

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Keith Browning

Putting an image on a pool table felt

Post by Keith Browning »

I have a customer who wants his logo on a pool table felt. I know that just about anything that I could do would effect the playing surface. I thought about maybe cutting some stencils and air brushing with some sort of thin dye but then comes the question of opacity. Perhaps this is just one of those things that shouldn't be done. Any suggestions?
Keith Browning
Artistic Lettering & Design
1106 Washington St.
Vicksburg, MS 39183
Ron Percell
Site Admin

Post by Ron Percell »

Keith,
I think Alcohol Soluble Aniline Dyes might be the best way to go. There are also some Aniline Metal dyes available that have 20 year durability without damaging the felt.

Another option would be to contact a pool table company and see how they approach this.

Good Luck
Keith Browning

Post by Keith Browning »

Thanks, I am not familiar with these dyes and from what I could gather through a quick scan on the 'net', they appear to be primarily for wood finishing. Is this the same stuff you're referring to? Also, any suggestions as to the best brand. Thanks again.
Keith Browning
Artistic Lettering & Design
1106 Washington St.
Vicksburg, MS 39183