Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lincoln Highway mural number 10 . . . Crest Hill, IL

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jay Allen

Lincoln Highway mural number 10 . . . Crest Hill, IL

Post by Jay Allen »

Telling the story of the 1919 Army Military Transport as we did in Dixon, IL. Here, a disgusted Lt. Col. Dwight Eisenhower directs his men to put a truck back on the road . . .

Hope you like it . . .

As always, I designed this - Joey Marshall engineered it - and Bill Hueg did the masterful job of painting it.

The slideshow:
http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq14 ... =slideshow
Robare M. Novou

Re: Lincoln Highway mural number 10 . . . Crest Hill, IL

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Some Truly Lovely Work!

Is there a clear coating over all this?

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Robare . . . Yes, there is. Clearstar and Steve Berman (from the old days of Chromatic) have created a single-part catalyzed acrylic clear (CSX5000) that we are 'beta-testing' to some degree. It's some pretty nice stuff . . . and works well over Bill's oils he uses - and the OneShot colors we use. Remember, we're working on Dibond panels. We take weak isopropyl alcohol to wipe the panels down to get any handprints/fingerprints/pollutants off it - then apply the clear.

The first one we used it on went up earlier this year - so results will be forthcoming in the 'real world' application. They have done accelerated testing - but 'real-world' will be the true test.

It's very easy to work with - a 9" woven mohair roller soaked in a tray of the CSX5000 clear - then some poured on the panels about 3 feet apart . . . roll sparingly and evenly and it levels out beautifully. It DOES dry quickly . . . but enough open time to get a nice surface. Maybe a touch of orangle-peel - but the thicker the better. Thin coats work well also - and can be applied 24 hours apart.

We prefer the semi-gloss for these as the one time we used gloss it made the mural appear 'newer' - and since they are historical murals, that seemed counter to what we're doing.

If this product pans out and lasts for a considerable time, it will be widely used for clearcoat applications. They've done a nice job in creating this product.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Beta Testing on a project of this magnitude seems abit unnerving!
Have you done any of the murals in any other clears to give you a comparison for standard?

This mural is one of my favourites of the project. Bill works so well with these colours! I really appreciate the time lapse documentations, will they be available indefinately, or can a gal convince you to send her copies.

It was great breakfasting with you in Danville, there is never enough time to visit everyone. I don't know if I had the opportunity to tell you, but the portrait was beautiful. Well done!
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Beta Testing on a project of this magnitude seems abit unnerving!
Have you done any of the murals in any other clears to give you a comparison for standard?
We trust Steve Berman, Kelly. Simple as that. We did use the old Clearstar on the first 3 we did a few years ago. But when we called to talk about it, he directed us to this product.
This mural is one of my favourites of the project. Bill works so well with these colours! I really appreciate the time lapse documentations, will they be available indefinately, or can a gal convince you to send her copies.
I'll probably have to clean some of them out as my Photobucket site MUST be getting pretty full. But I will do a .wmv video when we're all done . . . and all will be on it.
It was great breakfasting with you in Danville, there is never enough time to visit everyone. I don't know if I had the opportunity to tell you, but the portrait was beautiful. Well done!
You're very kind . . . So long as Dan Sawatzky was surprised and pleased, that's what mattered. He's a good man - and he pushes me to be my best. First effort at portraiture - dumbed down to be able to execute - but I had a REALLY good teacher in Hueg. . .!!!