Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Mounting Glass on Brick

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Mounting Glass on Brick

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I'm looking for suggestions for mounting 1/2 glass on a brick monument. The glass is 2'x3' and the bricklayer has made a ledge all around that leaves a 1" space between the glass and the ledge. The intent was to have a 1/2 void that would be filled with caulk, but due to miscommunication somewhere along the line this is what I have to work with.
I'll likely purchase or manufacture some trim to frame the glass. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Larry White

Re: Mounting Glass on Brick

Post by Larry White »

I would imagine that drilling 4 mounting holes in the glass and then mounting it to inserts in the wall, with standoffs, would probably be the most common and easy approach.

Perhaps including a quick sketch on this post would yield some different view points.

-Lare
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Assuming the glass is painted or opaque, weld up angle iron equal to the thickness of the glass (or slightly thicker taking caulk into account) , ie glass is 1/2" thick, use 5/8" angles iron, weld and grind the welds, paint flat black, gild w/ gold, copper or....

Drill and countersink the frame; you may have to weld on some tabs for the mounting holes as 1/2" angle is too narrow for a 3/16" fastener.

Mount the frame to the brick w/ flat head tapcons, caulk the back of the frame and install the glass.

Nice, thin, unobtrusive frame.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I won't be drilling any holes in this glass as it is the vitrolite I spoke of in an earlier post and it took a lot to track it down and was pretty costly to have it shipped here. I'd be too scared of breaking it seeing as how it is likely ~ 100 yrs old.
Here is a mockup of what I am trying to say.

Thanks Danny, that could work, although there are a few rough edges on the glass so it would be nice to have something that would create a lip over them.

The reason for going for cost of the Vitrolite was because we felt it would be maintenance free - untill some guy flings a rock at it from a mower I suppose, so whatever I use has to be pretty durable.
Attachments
Ayles glass mount.jpg
Ayles glass mount.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Same frame as above to fit glass. Make a second frame of 3/4" angle to fit over first.

Install 1st frame to house glass, install in wall offsetting off the brick to allow for 3/4" face frame to sit flush w/ glass. Second frame fits snugly over the first frame. Install w/ double sided tape, 5 minute epoxy or silicon.

No visible fasteners, secure install.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Kelly, you must have thought of this one, but just in case you haven't....
Black glass and stone complements terrific with anodized aluminium or brushed stainless steal.
The first is easily to get and therefore a big choice of different profiles are available.

If you are having trouble with a space between to objects that is to big, do not try to hide it, but show it with class:
Kelly frame.jpg
Kelly frame.jpg (48 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
The shape in the middle is the anodized profile which fill the gap between the brick and glass and which also frames the both in one.

Hope this helps,

Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Thanks Danny and Erik.
Once the monument is finished I'll slip out there and see what I am working with. I appreciate the possibilities.