Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Silvering plastics

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

Silvering plastics

Post by erik winkler »

NOTE: NO RESPERATOR!!!!

Nice Silvering video clip:
Silvering plastics video

What is he using after the silvering spray gun?
Is it soap and then water?
How do you protect these silvered plastic parts after the water is air dried?: Clearcoat?
Can that be done in the same water-oversaturated spray booth without getting into troubles with the solvent based clearcoat?

Ok ok another treat from your buddy Eriksan:
Silvering Bhuda

Eriksan
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Re: Silvering plastics

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I viewed these films only one time because I have no time.
The guns appear to be DI water, tin gun, silvering gun, tap water (may be filtered) and a water based acrylic clear coat
that appears to take fast to the silver, so fast that it appears that he immediately removes the excess with a final tap water rinse
then blow dry with the air gun. The clear coating must be molecules thin and would have to be not to interfere with the optical reflection and
brilliance of the silver layer. I imagine that nicks, scratches, and rock chips would TARNISH like an old fork!

As for inhalation of the silver chemicals, obviously you can see him knocking back a bottle of "silver strip" just before silvering the bottle!! Haha!
Seriously, I wear a good respirator to block intake of the chemical vapors. Especially the tin chloride and silver which contains formaldehyde as
a preservative. I also use a fan to direct over spray off of my arms.
Pat
Larry White

Re: Silvering plastics

Post by Larry White »

I enjoyed the creative use of a shipping container as a spray booth.

Probably has a 4-6" drain hole somewhere in the bottom.

Wonder where the run off goes?

Is that where silverfish came from?