Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Table Saw vs. HF....

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

Table Saw vs. HF....

Post by Larry White »

I've always said I was more fearful using my table saw than using Hydroflouric Acid.

This could ease my fears....check out this interesting video:

Table Saw flesh sensor

-Aho!

Mark Summers

Re: Table Saw vs. HF....

Post by Mark Summers »

I got goose bumps watching him put his finger in the saw.
I've heard of this saw-stop before. That was one brave SOB!

Mark
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

I've heard of this saw but have never seen it in operation.

About 4-5 years ago I was careless with my table saw. (See the photo.) My fingers are already short & stubby & I wasn't really eager to give up any extra length. Thankfully the blade only went through to the bone.

Immediately after I got back from getting stitched up I cleaned the chunks of my thumb out of the blade & replaced the blade guard I had removed years before. I still don't have any feeling in the end of my thumb but it's fully operational & I'm a lot more careful today.
Attachments
Thumbs down.jpg
Thumbs down.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 4925 times
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hey Dan, that looks just like my left thumb about 4 months ago, but you win the most stiches contest - I only had about 5. :lol:
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

You guys.....I'm afraid to say something and jinx myself. I've seen this saw before and has been around for quite awhile. The inventor is lobbying congress trying to make it compulsory for every new one manufactured. As you can imagine there is quite a bit of resistance as there are a few flaws with the machine not to mention the heavy handed approach.
Martin Melish

Post by Martin Melish »

My shop teacher always said " Machines don't know the difference between metal or meat".
I have a squaring shear for cutting 16 gauge steel. I still think about my fingers getting sheared off every time I use it. Always be aware of where your valuable parts are when using any type of machinery.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Martin Melish wrote:My shop teacher always said " Machines don't know the difference between metal or meat".
I have a squaring shear for cutting 16 gauge steel. I still think about my fingers getting sheared off every time I use it. Always be aware of where your valuable parts are when using any type of machinery.

I keep them in my trousers...? :shock:
Or is this comment not forumlike?...
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Well... it's not my nature to walk on a good pitch... but moving along, somewhere there is a saying that goes something like "when you become confident in a power tool, there's a new lesson coming soon!" Actually I think I just made that up- not bad!
I still have memories of a blood curdling "yelp" coming from the woodshop next door. I ran into his shop to find him sitting in a chair with both hands gripping a Rockwell router between his legs. "Unplug it quick he yelled!!" "That's the last time I change a bit without unplugging".
He had accidently flipped the power switch and the 1" router bit wound itself up in his pants temporarily binding the motor, but he dare not let go to flip the switch lest it break loose and go for more. He suffered only self treatable scratches to his privates, but had I been away it would have been entirely worse.
Pat
Martin Melish

Post by Martin Melish »

Erik, Those are very valuable parts indeed. But I also consider my fingers valuable too. Keep up the good work . I had to spend the night at the airport in Amsterdam on my way back home from Prauge awhile back. Keep up the fantastic work. Marty