Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Copper Leaf?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Raymond Chapman

Copper Leaf?

Post by Raymond Chapman »

OK...here I am trying to surface gild copper for the first time and I can't get it to stick to the size. I went the cheapy route because I just had a little bit to do for a customer that specified copper leaf - went to Hobby Lobby and bought what they had.

Put down One Shot Quick Size and waited about 45 minutes, applied the leaf but then when I go to brush off the excess, it start coming off the size.

So I reapply the size and don't wait as long but there are still areas not sticking.

OK...I know that I should have bought the real stuff and been professional, but I just need a few letters done.

Any ideas?

I plan to clear the copper. What do I use? It's exterior.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: Copper Leaf?

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Raymond,

whatever size you use it needs to be on the tacky side, don't wait for the size to set up as you would with gold.

I've found over the last two years that 1 shot gold size doesn't perform as it once did, and switched to luna 3 and 12 hour.

For copper I'd use Wunda size, contrary to the fact it's not recommendation for exterior use. Ricks explanation was if it's primed well prior to gold leaf, the gold acts as a protective barrier, and have found the same to be with copper. Wunda size is also good for copper and dutch metals as it has a more agressive tack.

For clear go to your local auto body supply shop and ask for a high performance clear lacquer in a rattle can, it's the only thing that will hold up reliably. If you want the name of a specific product, let me know and I'll post the info.

Why your having problems with material sticking at all, or poorly, I'd suspect the 1 shot. How old is it? Is the copper you purchased at the hobby store copper, or is it some type of mylar? Sounds similar to the problem with the La Franc size. BTW, a book of copper from a good sign supplier will only costs about $ 10 - 15. Less than that I'd wonder if it had any copper content unless it's from China.

Danny
Attachments
copper.jpg
copper.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

The copper from Hobby Lobby is a leaf and looks similar to gold leaf but thicker. I've used white cotton gloves when handling it to avoid getting any body oils and tarnishing the copper.

I have some One Shot Acrylic Clear (4005) in a rattle can that worked well on some scrap samples. Also, I have a spray can of Permalac Spray Lacquer (by Sculpt Nouveau) that I used on a faux plaque recently. It was used outside and has been holding up well, but I'm not sure of the reaction between the lacquer and the size.

Thanks for the help from you guys.

To Robert...no, I don't think I will be able to make Fred's this year. The nickel jar is empty and no jobs are coming in. It will be the first one I've missed in a long time. If the economy picks up I may be able to sneak in at the last minute.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi again Raymond. Danny has hit the nail on the head. Quite a few years ago I was at Glawson and Evans and Rick had just finished gilding a bunch of letters in copper with a water based size from the New York bunch. I believe it was the Instacol and they were perfect. I've used a slow oil size with copper many times as I never fully understood the Instacol and always clear over with an acrylic of several varieties "Clearstar" is what I use now and have NEVER EVER EVER had a problem.