Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

'Restoration' Antique Slotmachine

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

erik winkler

'Restoration' Antique Slotmachine

Post by erik winkler »

Years ago my parents bought a an antique slotmachine at an auction.
The main panel had a text written on paper. The paper was not original so my father made the same lettering using vinyl on perspex (3 inch high x 12 inch wide).
They are now cruising Britain with their caravan and I thought it would be nice to suprise tem.
I would give it a try to make something better than the perspex 'thing'.
Glass, mica etched, painted black outlines, silvered (black outlines were not attacked by the silver solution) and waterilded with 23,75 crt goldleaf.
Here are some photo's (unfortunatly the relief etching is not to be seen vey good on the photo's):
Black Perspex panel on top.JPG
Black Perspex panel on top.JPG (125.94 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
Result.JPG
Result.JPG (128.52 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
Detail 1.JPG
Detail 1.JPG (154.01 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
Detail 2.JPG
Detail 2.JPG (155.11 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
Detail 3.JPG
Detail 3.JPG (153.02 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
Due to the factthat the machine is hung up very hgh, the reflection of the light does not shimmer a lot when standing infront.
Therefore, next time I will engine turn the gold or mica etch the glass underneath also.
Still learing...

Ofcourse I saved the paper and perspex sign and they are kept save inside te machine itself.
Erik
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu