Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Question for fellow Brits. Which paint?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ted Cooper

Question for fellow Brits. Which paint?

Post by Ted Cooper »

Being fairly new to this sign lettering game,I need some advice regarding which paint is,in your opinion,as professional signwriters/pinstripers,the best. What do you use?
I'm using 1shot,but I'm far from impressed with the coverage of some colours,especially the reds and yellows.I'm thinking of getting some "wright it" from Wrights of Lymm,or something from the Craftmaster range of signwriting enamels,but,neither have the range of colours that are available from 1shot. Craftmaster and Wrights both have 23(I think)colours to choose from,and,judging from their colour charts,both seem to offer the same colours.Which leads me to ask;is it the same paint,made by the same manufacturer? There is a big difference in price between Wrights and Craftmaster!
I have used Craftmaster's coach enamel on my recent restoration of my 1981 Goldwing,and I must say,it is ... good stuff(well,to this newbie anyway). Is their sign enamel of the same standard?
So,which paint do you all use?
A bit of an update,my pinstriping is coming on pretty good,though I say it myself(well,the missus thinks so!)but I'm not so good on the lettering. More practice needed.
Wayne,is the invite to visit you still there? I need some guidance!!!
Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then
Wayne Osborne

Re: Question for fellow Brits. Which paint?

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Hi Ted-My door is always open to any brothers (or :D sisters) of the brush.- but please give me a call to arrange a visit, as I'm very busy lately.

PAINT:I use lots of one shot- but also use a range of both Wrights colours and Craftmaster-depending on the job and the colour.

Reds whites and yellows always did mean 2nd coating- I have a stock of the old KEEPS colours and intenso's too which I use ( sparingly) to beef up the weaker of the modern enamels.
Brian the Brush UK

Post by Brian the Brush UK »

Na' then Wayne,
You kept that quiet !!! I never knew you had some Intenso colours !!!!!!!! Oh the smell !!!! what memories !!!!!!!!!!! he he !!!!!!!!!

Ted, all the signwriters paints these days 'aint what they wos !!
as Wayne says always be prepared to second coat the lettering !!

keep pushing the paint,
Brian.
http://www.brianthebrushuk.com
With a stroke more imagination.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I also have tins of keeps intenso . Came across 100 tins of different colours a few years back and use them all the time . Incredible paint and excellent adhesion to glass, perfect for blending. I also mix them with 1 shot paint. The old chap who taught me still has a good batch of un-openned tins, just like gold dust...Dave
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

OHH the pain when I think of all the half tins of White Intenso that I let dry out and threw away years ago- What i would'nt give for just a spot of that in my dipper some times.

Its very true when they say " you don't know what you've got till its gone!

.Don't even start me on spoiled brushes :cry: