Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Speaking of SignCraft articles...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Speaking of SignCraft articles...

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi all,
A while back, I wrote an article in SC about upgrading and updating technology.

It is often easy to sit back and stay with something that works and fills the needs. Besides not laying out the money for the new technology, it saves headaches and down time.

I am sitting here tonight doing a Service Pack 3 update on a "new" refurbished XP machine. Actually, I bought two of them from Dell, so I have to go through it all again later tonight.

Several factors pushed me into the new machines (I bought the refurbished Pentium 4 machines so I wouldn't have to get Vista). Darla's office computer and the one we use as an output console in the shop were both Windows 2000 systems. Recently, she wanted to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 for some reason having to do with her Facebook page. It only works with XP and Vista. Her old HP printer was just barely printing, so I took advantage of a $50 rebate at Staples and bought her a new printer that also scans and copies. When I got it home, I found out it only works with Windows XP and Vista.

The computer in the shop was working fairly well, but when I am out in the garage, I like to watch videos at Lynda.com. I can click on one of them, then coat out a panel, listening and watching a little while working. The newest versions of their videos now require a version of Quick Time that requires either XP or Vista. Hmmmmm. I started to think my upgrade was becoming way too apparent. Finally, I decided to go ahead and upgrade my Omega 2x programs to Omega 3. That did it! So far, I have it installed on one of my three systems and it looks pretty good. I am anxious to use the new smart editing features.

I only paid $179 each for the two systems, so it should keep me up and running until I decide to upgrade out of Windows XP. I should be okay for a year or two.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons