Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Oklahoma bash

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Leo Calleros

Oklahoma bash

Post by Leo Calleros »

I was considering attending this but I nervous as I am a total beginner and have very little experience in the matters of signs and sign painting. I am mostly interested int he reverse glass art, myself and just dont want to be totally out of place with all the people there that have been at it for years. Just dont know what to expect.

Just dont want to be the one people point and laugh at cause I lack so much experience.
Administrator note:
The original Oklahoma "Bash" happened in Oklahoma in 1982 in Moore, OK. The meeting talked about here is being held by Fred Self in Oklahoma City and had been an annual event for quite a few years. I don't have the exact spelling here in front of me but it is somethi8ng like Saskawalla Letterheads. MJ
Kelly Thorson

Re: Oklahoma bash

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Definitely go!
The folks at these gatherings live to share their knowledge. You'll find it pumps you up like nothing else.
Remember everyone started at the beginning.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Yes....if you can get there...don't hesitate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know a lot of those Okies and Texans and they are all first class people. Introduce yourself and then start asking questions. You will be amazed at how open they will be with you, and of course, all of them had to start at the beginning a long, long, long time ago. :)
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

I was there last year....excellent meet ....wonderful people.

Don't miss it!

and a slide show...

http://w178.photobucket.com/pbwidget.sw ... 9bcbcf.pbw

Joe,

makin Chips and Havin Fun!
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Hey, Mike and I will be there and you know me. You won't be disappointed. There will be a lot of gold on display and probably a lot done while you are there. It will be good to see you again.

The short guy in the first photo is my son Mike.

Lots of folks show up that are not even connected with the sign trade just because they like to be around the folks that gather with Fred every year. There is an architect from Austin that comes every year and just strolls around and watches - never picks up a brush but has a ball.

Mike Jackson is an old Okie (and I mean really old) and he knows what he's talking about. He was orginally from Moore, which is just south of OKC. Hey Mike....we surely would like to see you back down here again. (He'll probably make some excuse about having to do something with his kids)
Leo Calleros

Post by Leo Calleros »

You guys convinced me. I will be there for sure. It will be good to see you again, as well, Mr. Chapman.

I will be making my travel plans this week, then. Just need to find out where some near by hotels are located.