Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

"Tips and Tricks" Pin Router

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

joe cieslowski

"Tips and Tricks" Pin Router

Post by joe cieslowski »

I don't see a CNC in my future, but I'm always looking to speed up production. I have 20 or more shapes that I use for my house markers.

To speed up the cutting and smoothing of each, I used my last router and a knockoff "Work Mate" and fashioned a Pin Router.

I make a template of each shape out of 3/4" plywood and hammer 3, 1" brads through the back so that they protrude about 1/4". First, I use the template to quickly outline the shape onto primed HDU.

Next I bandsaw off the waist....staying way off the line.

Next, I press the template (Nails Down) onto the HDU. The bearing of the router bit rides on the plywood template and the shape is cut perfectly.

Next, I step over to to my other router table and cut the cove.

I then break the corners with some 220 paper and I'm off to prime and paint. I can now go from primed sheet to ready to carve in less than 25 minutes. (Production Time)

Big improvement!

Hope this is helpfull to someone.

Edited to add that this isn't a true pin router. A pin router is a different setup but works basically the same way. "Trim Router" is probly a better term.

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!