Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Woodworkers on Asphaltum Craze

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ron Percell
Site Admin

Woodworkers on Asphaltum Craze

Post by Ron Percell »

I Recently recieved a call from a gentleman that annouced himself as a wood worker inquiring about Asphaltum as a stain and its availability, once comfirming a supply, that was the last I heard from him.

2-3 weeks go by, then the phone phones start ringing off the hook, and then the orders for asphaltum soon overtook the inventory and any that could be procured.

Apparently this gentleman worked for five wood working magazines and had ran articles on the usefullness of Asphaltum in getting an antique patinas on wood using the product.

This got me thinking of Rick Glawson again, and wondering just how many different craftsman were dependent on his wonderful old esoteric products?
Ron Berlier

Magazine/Publisher in question

Post by Ron Berlier »

Ron,

That publication is Woodsmith, which is publised by August Home in Iowa. I'm not surprized that you are being inundated with calls as their subscriber base is just over 250,000.

Maybe you need to think about an automated phone system to handle the overload. :lol:

I subscribe to the publication and they ran an article, in the current issue, about recreating the dark look typically found on Mission style furniture. Must admit I was a bit surprized to see your company lsited at the back under material sources.

Oh well, better start making more "Road Tar".

Ron
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Ron Percell
Site Admin

Post by Ron Percell »

Thanks for the heads up Ron.

The sign publications always send copies out to anyone listed, but I guess its different with the wood mags.

The phone system,,, We have an Avaya System with 6 phone lines connected currently which is expandable with slots upto 18 lines in, 408 mailboxes,in which I hope to have an automated how to Guild/glue chip/etc. tutorial set up in the next year so folks can call for help at anytime. It also features Music on hold, caller ID, plus a few more Items that only Kristi knows how to use.

I hope to see you at our next Gilders Gathering!

Take care Ron