Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Re-Paints and being a Sherlock Holmes

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

Re-Paints and being a Sherlock Holmes

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

It's always good to have a look into an old sign every once in a while to see how your technology/technique was/is holding up. Right now I have a few old signs that need changes in the shop. The business is now less one of the partners. There are several plywood signs with gold and aluminum leaf and one 3x4 approx. double sided foam sign that hangs over the street. It was 1 1/2 in HDU over a 3/4" plywood core in 23k and white gold. The foam is bit by bit letting go of the plywood (MDO) and was glued on with epoxy. The edges of the plywood would have been sealed with epoxy as well and there is rot appearing where it meets the bracket http://www.bernhardtsigns.ca/signwriting.html The good news is the clearstar which I sealed the white gold up with has done the job nicely but the aluminum leaf is down to looking like one-shot imitation silver after a few years. These signs have taken the worst weather and conditions I've seen and were probably never washed. There were also on all of them a single carved HDU letter attached with silicone. All those things worked out well and were still holding tight and the nails that I used to aligne and adhere these with (while silicone set up) showed no rust. Speaks well of idea I use now of using some Alex Plus paintable caulking wherever woods meet. Have tried to place a link here to the job of which part of is on my website. If it doesn't show up as I hope it's the McCaffery sign in blues and grays.