Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Norm Dobbins

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dan Seese

Norm Dobbins

Post by Dan Seese »

I got a call from Bill Hueg earlier today (May 7) who told me that Norm Dobbins died unexpectedly yesterday.
Many of us who work with glass have been greatly helped by him and his knowledge of all forms of sandblasting glass. He authored the definitive book on the subject of etching and carving glass and would give diverse seminars several times a year. Similar to Rick Glawson, Norm was very free in sharing his knowledge and experience.
Please remember his wife Ruth as this is obviously a very difficult time for her.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Bill called me today too. I'm sure that those calls weren't easy for him to make. I also got a couple of emails since, thanks for thinking of me.
How sad. I can't help thinking about how warm and welcoming Norm and Ruth were to us when we took the workshop in February. I've spoken to Norm a couple of times since then and I'm sorry for the loss of a friendship that was staring to form. It's wierd, I finally took time this weekend to watch the glass etching DVD I had ordered and was looking forward to teasing him about how much younger he was on the tape. It brought back warm memories of their caring hospitality. Aliento is a very magical place and I hope that it manages to continue with his passing. My heart goes out to Ruth. I know she has circle of very wonderful friends and I hope they can provide her with some comfort.
I understand today would have been Norm's 61 birthday. :(
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Just by way of update,
I received this email from the folks at Professional Glass Consultants:

It is with great sorrow that we inform you of the passing of Norm. Norm left us unexpectedly on May 6th, 2008. We still have not fully grasped the reality of our loss.

All of you who knew Norm are aware of all that he has imparted to you and others through his generous spirit, kind heart, and incredible talents. He will leave a very hard void to fill.

In the meantime rest assured that all of us here are committed to continue and further develop Norm’s legacy. We in turn ask you for your continued support and understanding as we prepare to forge ahead.

In lieu of flowers you may wish to support Norm’s vision of Aliento Glass School with a small contribution. Your cards and e-mails are quite welcome and if you have any photos of Norm or your stay here at Aliento, or any stories you wish to share, we would love to gather them for a tribute to Norm and his vision.

We will have a small private ceremony of family and close friends to celebrate his life on Sunday.

Thank you all so much for your sincere show of sympathy, good thoughts and prayers.

Ruth, Damian, Troy, Debbie, Hitoshi, Karen, Chrissy and Silver & Whitey
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

It's very sad to hear this news Dan. I never met Norm but had seen his work over the years in magazines and on the internet ,he certainly was a true craftsman and very knowledgable on the subject.
He will be greatly missed........
Dave
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Very sad news indeed. This past week I was in Fort Worth doing my workshops for National Business Media and Norm was scheduled to do an all day glass workshop today. I heard the news just after I arrived. It was really sad to see the label "Cancelled" over the sign for his class.

It was always a pleasure to sit in on his class and listen to his love for the craft. We spent many great moments together over a cup of coffee as we prepared for the classes we taught.

He will be greatly missed. Another great teacher is gone.

Remember to send those flowers to the living. I had just ordered some materials from Norm a few weeks ago and certainly had no idea that it would be our last contact. Unfortunately, there were a lot more things that I should have said to him to express my appreciation to him for what he was doing for the craft.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

It is always such sad news hearing of the passing of another of the real pros, and although I had never had the pleasure of meeting Norm I do share in remorse for the loss to the industry and the "what might have beens".