Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

brushed on clear for gold leaf

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Matt Lamborn

brushed on clear for gold leaf

Post by Matt Lamborn »

Just would like to ask what others are using as a brushed-on clear for gold leaf on fire trucks, etc. I have used 1-Shot Sign Restoring Clear and Super Gloss Tinting Clear. Is there something I should be using instead? I have been asked to do some gold leaf flourishes on a 1903 popcorn popin' horse-drawn carriage. I will use asphaltum for some of the shading. I have only used asphaltum on gold leaf before as practice never on an "official" job. Is there a special clear needed for over gold leaf w/ asphaltum? The asphaltum would be thinned with mineral spirits? Is it safe to add hardner to the clear if the gold leaf sizing does not have hardner added? I know this is a loaded post but there is soooo much to learn and the BEST are here. Thanx!!
Nahum 1:7
Matt Lamborn
Ashland, Ohio
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I'd hate to not see you get a quick reply for this one and I'm also sure there are quite a few different methods but some of the best guys I know are using the 2 part automotive clears. There is an article a month or 2 back in Sign Business and the author Mr. Brat (sp?) mentions this. Good luck
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

A trick I learned...

This is from a post I did a while back after visiting Glen Weisgerber (known Truck Letterer, Legend, Pinstriper, Myth);

{I spend the day at Glen's shop Monday, and he filled me in on his technique for clearing over gold.
He lays the gold, then after the gold effects (burnishing) he 1-Shot sizes it again, then when that is dry he coats it with Sikkens Cetol Gloss Marine Varnish then the next day clears it agin with the same stuff.
He has been doing that for between 6-8+ years with no failures (I think he said 15 years, but I am playing it safe). Anyone who knows Glen and his work, knows he is known for quality and precision.}
His reasoning was also put there;

{Glen said he had seen that most clears don't hold onto the gold and the only thing keeping it stuck to the vehicle is around the edges....
He re-sizes the gold because his theory is that the gold sticks to the size, the size must stick to the gold. Then the other side is pretty much a paintable surface. He described it as a gold sandwich.
Makes sense in my head.
He was also saying that the catalyzed clears are too brittle and that is part for the failure.}

I have done it this way a couple of times and it works easy enough.

PS- I think you mean Braet or Mr. J from good ol' NJ.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!