Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Automatic Software Updates

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Automatic Software Updates

Post by Mike Jackson »

Every once in a while my hard disk light starts flashing, even though I am not actually doing anything to the computer. I have my email program set to download new messages every three minutes and I have my virus software downloading DAT files nightly and running during the night, but the new wave of software releases are installing autoupdaters. They run in the background off and on, logging onto their servers and checking my machine for current versions. In some ways, I like the idea, but it also get paranoid that some trojan virus has infected my machine and is spinning the hard drive, deleting or changing files. Windows XP does a lot of auto updates, mostly to keep the operating system up to date and hopefully less likely to pick up a new virus.

I guess it is nice to know Adobe and Microsoft are "looking out for me". In theory, they are updating the software so I don't bump into as many bugs in their software. Still, it is alarming to see my hard drive flashing when I am not using the computer and it is not during one of my scheduled virus check periods.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons