Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Vintage masthead....

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Vintage masthead....

Post by Guest »

I did a vector rendering of a masthead from a 1910 newspaper over the weekend, and thought it would be a good one one to post here. Do you guys have any idea how fortunate you are to be set up and have the skills to pull off stuff like this on glass! I envy and respect you all!

Link is for a larger image. Thanks Mike.

http://home.earthlink.net/~doncoplen/im ... byside.jpg
Last edited by Guest on Tue May 03, 2005 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest »

I didn't realize how bad a compressed jpg was going to look. Man, that's bad.
Larry White

Nice!...

Post by Larry White »

Ya Don... I could see that as a glass sign. Heck, if you can vectorize someting like that, certianly you could execute it on glass. ...it's really only about following directions. ...and all the directions are right here on this site! Lucky us! ...send me the vector file and I'll make one, heck I don't have anything else to do!.... :D
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com

Post by Guest »

I'd enjoy doing that kind of work, for sure.

I pictured it in my mind as a glass sign when I drew the vector art. It's drawn pretty much in the style of my Trilogy CDs.

I've been living in a camper since last October, due to Hurricane Charley destroying my home. It's a pain in the a$$ just trying to cook a meal in here, let alone making a sign.

Post by Guest »

Any advice on where to find more vintage reference material such as what I used for this artwork? I think the most I could hope for from the local libraries would be microfilm, if that.

Post by Guest »

By the way, MJ...this image is 760 px wide and seems to be a nice fit. I'd posted 400 wide at first, as per your info on posting pictures here (hence, the edit) and the image looked horrible.
Mark Fair

Post by Mark Fair »

Great Layout Don!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Don,
At 760 pixels, the image looks very nice, but it causes my browser to have to scroll left and right to read the posts. At 420 and down, I don't see that. You might consider posting it on this site at 420 or less, then create a link to your web site to show it there at whatever size you feel is comfortable for the image load.

I have my 21" monitor set to 1024 x 768. How much you have to scroll depends on that setting. This MSSimplicity template has side padding for normal viewing. A wide image expands the center cell, pushing the side padding out.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons

Post by Guest »

Changed it. Thanks for the info, Mike.

A few people have inquired about whether they could purchase the vector art of this image. Why not? Drop me an email or PM, if you would like to give it a go.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Don, You probably already know it, but it is better to open your original Photoshop file, resize and then save to a jpg than it is to open a jpg and resize it. After resizing, it is also advisable to run the unsharp mask (sharpening filter) on the new image.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

Don,
Great to see that the "Vector Miester" hasn't lost his touch. Really nice work.

Irish
Larry White

Thanks for transfering the old posts!!!

Post by Larry White »

Don-
I new I had posted some info on the topic of old ephemera stuff. Here is the result when searching this site for "ephemera". ...it's there! ...sweet!
Just type in "ephemera" to the search page.

search.php?mode=results
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com

Post by Guest »

Good stuff, Larry! That library of congress link in particular. It's trying my patience clicking around to find stuff, but when you do, it's gold...and not bad resolutions, either.