Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Oneshot over mahogany finished with Sikkens "Cetol"

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Lennig

Oneshot over mahogany finished with Sikkens "Cetol"

Post by John Lennig »

Hi folks, I have an older ChrisCraft cruiser to letter tomorrow, it's finished with Sikkens Cetol oil finish. The Sikkens website says of the product "it breathes"...it sounds like an oil finish. I'd be using oneshot, letter with outline and shade, brushes, of course!!

Any experince with this, anybody. Thanks in advance.

John Lennig / SignRider
"You spelled it wrong!"
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi John,
have done this many times and no probs. Just letter away!
alan johnson

Post by alan johnson »

I use it also over gold leaf with a few drops of hardener. don't you just love the old wooden boats?
"Maintain"
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Well, they did end up putting the finish coats of Cetol on the stern before I lettered it. Satin finish. The one shot went great, sunny day, but angle of boat kept sun off surface. Great day to be alive!

Thanks for the replies...

John Lennig / SignRider
"You spelled it wrong!"