Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Cleaning Gold Leaf

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Cleaning Gold Leaf

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Raymond Chapman
I have to repaint a sandblasted redwood sign with gold leaf lettering. The gold is still in fine shape except for the usual dirt and grime. How do I clean the gold without damaging it?
Mike Jackson
Hi Raymond,
I'd probably repaint the background first and let it dry. I think a wet chamois would work to clean the gold, and if the background is already painted, the excess water should stay on the surface and not soak into the background. We often re-gilded the lettering when re-finishing a sign. It was easier and faster than trying to make sure we didn't get any paint on the gold.

As always, it depends on the size and complexity of the sign and layout.

Good luck on it.....

Mike
Rick@mendosign.com
I little cider vinegar on a rag.
Kent Smith
Vinegar is also great for bug spots and bird droppings. Mild soap or detergent such as a dishwashing liquid that does not have hand lotion of lanolin in it can be used with a soft cloth or clean cotton. Only rub enough to clean so that you don't burnish in a new pattern. Also rinse well with a light spray to minimize contact.