Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Getting the Gold into nagging little crevices in glue chip

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Getting the Gold into nagging little crevices in glue chip

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Robert Beverly on October 02, 2002
Hey folks

Is there a fool proof way of filling in those cotton pickin crevices left behind from chipping?....I sure hate to keep going back over the area several times to get it to fill!

and as an aspiring craftsman in this area, I hate to resort to substituting materials just yet!...:)

Thanks in Advance!
Mike Jackson
Hi Robert,
Angel gilding will get into every crevice, if you ever want to try that process. Otherwise, we double water gild the glue chipped areas and then do an extra back up layer with clear varnish and light bronze powder. The bronze powder mixture will slip into those pesky areas and fill them up. We liked to do the final back up with imitation gold Dekor ink instead of black. All of this is to keep from having any black back-up paint from showing in unexpected areas. By now you already know that scraping black paint out of those crevices is almost impossible.

Hope this helps a little.
Mike Jackson
Robert Beverly
Mike
Thanks for the info.....I have used the varnish/powder mix and thought that might be the case...and I use Rick's orchre yellow for backup...I was just wondering if another method has been tried...

I just went ahead and put some fast size on the piece I am working on to fill the cracks...is that just to much work?....should I just go ahead and do the powder varnish mix?...am I gaining anything from that?

and yes...Ms Lola says I'm not getten the angel guild setup till I practise more...:)...she is a sweety!
Kent Smith
I have also just single gilded to get burnished highlights and then oil size and surface gild so the color is the same, just matte. Much of the chip appears matte anyway especially those areas which still have blast etch and no chip. Ditto to what Lola says, you can waste a lot of material if you don't get the process just right. I use angel gild most of the time now but have fallen back on the stanby method for a few small jobs.