Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Just Beginning...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Welborn

Just Beginning...

Post by Mike Welborn »

I am new to lettering and am trying to gain some knowledge. Any advice is much appreciated.

I am currently interested in learning, how to replicate "old time" signs on old pieces of wood. I have used old wood, such as barn wood for several years on various projects from picture frames to replicas of busshel box apple crates. I am mainly interested in simple text with a shadowed look. My main goal is to achieve an authentic look for a finished product. Any suggestions on how to get started ??

Thanks
Mike W
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Mike,
Welcome! There is a LOT of talent here and you will find most of them more than willing to help with specific questions if you can ask them on more narrow topics. I believe most people will tell you that learning to hand letter does not come quickly and is not something you absorb through osmosis by simply watching someone do it. That helps, of course, but you will need to spend a lot of time with a brush in your hand practicing the various strokes that eventually combine into letter forms.

There is a wealth of information on this site, both in the old posts and on the main section of the The Original Letterheads Site. Take some time and read through the old posts and dig deep into the Feature Articles sections of this site at:
http://www.theletterheads.com/index.html

You might look at Steve Shortreed's web site at http://www.letterhead.com for the list of upcoming Letterhead events and make sure you go to any in your area. Steve stays up with all the upcoming events.

If you really want a jump start, consider going to a workshop like the one Noel Weber and John Studden are hosting at the end of October, mainly focused on glass gilding.

Of course, you should also subscribe to all the trade magazines listed in the Site Links on the green site linked at the top of my reply above.

Maybe others will help with more and better advice, but this should get you started.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson - Co-Administrator
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Mike Welborn.... where are you??
"You spelled it wrong!"
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Mike,
I just had a long talk with another Mike that was interested in old rustic signs.If you go to www.ghosttownsigns.com you can see alot of examples of "Old Time Signs".
My suggestion to you is get an old Speed ball pen and showcard book.A nice set of stiff fitches (Brushes) , some water based paint and a peice of old barn wood and go to town,ghost town that is.
Those old books show how to do one stroke letters that are perfect for what you want to do.You will only need two or three colors white ,black and raw umber dark to do a very nice 100 year old sign.
I don't normally teach classes but if your coming to San Deigo I could arange a 2 day lesson.

I hope that helps and good luck
Roderick
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Hi Mike-
I've been a big fan of Mark Fair and the Flying Biscuit Sign Company. He's got a great style for his antique looking signs. Roderick's no slouch in his inventive approaches to making things look old either! Also, don't forget to search this board, as various discussions on this subject have been posted here already. I'm always an advocate of learning by doing...and not wasting a lot of time getting started. Good luck and have fun with it.
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

http://www.letterhead.com/events.html

Mike,
It might help us if you can let us know what part of the country you live?
There are numerous upcoming Letterhead events listed on the page above, including he big one in Georgia coming up very soon.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons