Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

lead Methanol Mirror vs classic mirror

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ismael Alvarado

lead Methanol Mirror vs classic mirror

Post by Ismael Alvarado »

hi, I know this is playing with fire, but I had to do it.... :cry:

here this is MY video I just up loaded to Youtube(yeah use rubber gloves)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKq39K3fmOY

vs

classic tollen's reagent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUX_cpFWNso

let me know what do you think
Larry White

Re: lead Methanol Mirror vs classic mirror

Post by Larry White »

Well, the character development was quite limited.
The plot was a bit slow to develop.
The ending was rather anticlimactic...
and the soundtrack was rather mediocre.

Do you make good coffee at least....

....not bad.
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

I don't know about that Larry, I found the whole video rather stirring. ;)

Seriously though, Ismael, I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish with the video. If it was for teaching purposes, I think it would help to know what the chemicals you are using are. If it was to compare the finished products from the two processes, it does look as if yours has a more uniform finish.

I like to see people who are curious and push the envelope, but if you were using chemicals that you should have been wearing gloves with, then for future videos please do be responsible and demonstrate in a safe manner. There are those who will assume the risks are negligible otherwise. I look forward to seeing what you are up to next. :)
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Ismael Alvarado

Post by Ismael Alvarado »

Kelly Thorson wrote:I don't know about that Larry, I found the whole video rather stirring. ;)
... :lol: yeah I know, I made the reducing formula that way because if is too fast then the silver ends in the solution and not in the glass... :wink:
Kelly Thorson wrote:I think it would help to know what the chemicals you are using are.
simple yet dangerous chemicals(aside from the obvious dangers of silver nitrate)

solvent: Windshield Washer/antifreeze ready to use formula(about 5% methanol) instead of water
Reducing agent: Formalin(very diluted with Windshield ready to use formula)
tinning solution: Home made lead chloride solution diluted with the same ready to use formula(aids in lowering the surface tension)
silvering formula: AngelGilding spray on silver formula 5 Mil

Kelly Thorson wrote: If it was to compare the finished products from the two processes, it does look as if yours has a more uniform finish.
well my intent was to compare the finished looks, by using lead chloride the finish turns out to be a bit darker than the natural pale color if one use stannous chloride..
Kelly Thorson wrote:I like to see people who are curious and push the envelope, but if you were using chemicals that you should have been wearing gloves with, then for future videos please do be responsible and demonstrate in a safe manner
Sorry, I know, Next time I will be wearing gloves for sure.... :cry:

more videos coming soon with proper safety gloves... :mrgreen: